ⅩⅩⅩ. real life

august 20th, 2021

The sun was slowly sliding down the horizon, illuminating an orange path across the glimmering water, its fingers reaching out to douse the wispy clouds in their own bath of orange and pink. Cecilia and Olivia lounged against the damp sand, the faint saltiness that seemed to linger in the air no matter where they went adding an element of comfort to Cecilia as it tousled her hair. 

Olivia was nursing a strawberry ice cream cone, trying her best to quell the endless drips that ran down the side while Cecilia watched her with a soft smile, fondness swirling in her irises. 

Summer was slowly coming to an end with back to school season in full swing and as much as Olivia refused to admit it that meant Cecilia was leaving too. She wasn't going far and would still come back frequently but it had still been a punch to the gut for Olivia when she realised that someone she was used to spending nearly every day with, even more now, wasn't always going to be around anymore. 

Cecilia had joked about their apparent co-dependence for each other and that maybe they were still a little too attached but Olivia hadn't laughed. She hadn't laughed either when her girlfriend had suggested that she'd be too busy to even miss her, because the truth was that no matter how much Olivia was going to miss her Lil, she would never stop her from pursuing her dreams no matter how far away that took her. 

Olivia was immensely proud of the girl who practically lived in her heart, the girl who gave Olivia a giddy smile that made her elation build her in her chest as the water-loving Cecilia tried to coax Olivia back into the water for the fifth time that day. 

"Come on, Liv." Cecilia enticed. "You'll regret it if you don't." 

"I'm more than happy to watch you have fun from a distance, besides I've got this." Olivia returned, gesturing to the ice cream cone still clutched in her hand. 

"Well hurry up then and eat it!" Cecilia demanded, hands on her hips and a pout tugging at her lips. 

That was the only sight that Olivia needed before she was quickly finishing off the ice cream and chasing after her girlfriend who had dashed away once she saw that Olivia had buckled under the pressure. 

"Get back here!" Olivia shouted, chasing after the brunette into the waves that lapped at her ankles, quickly reaching waist height the further that Olivia followed after Cecilia. "Where on earth did you go?"

However, Cecilia had disappeared in the waves that she loved so much, swimming through the water without a care in the world, the freedom that summer always provided coursing through her veins. She grabbed Olivia's ankle under the water, the brunette stomping her feet against the sand in shock and protest before she felt her feet being pulled out from under her. 

"Hey," Cecilia breathed, holding Olivia in her arms, hit with a wave of affection for the girl in front of her. "Didn't expect to see you here."

"Shut up and kiss me." Olivia exhaled, gasping when Cecilia caved in and followed her request, the two girls sharing a kiss before Olivia found herself promptly dumped back into the waves. "Oh my god, I can't believe you just did that." She added once she surfaced only to spot her girlfriend's satisfied smirk. 

"Sorry, Liv the opportunity was there." Cecilia grinned. "But I love you and I'm so lucky to be able to love you."

"I love you too." Olivia returned stepping forward, brushing back a piece of Cecilia's wet hair that had stuck stubbornly to her face. "And you make me so much better but I'm so so proud of you." She continued, her gaze flickering down to Cecilia's lips. "Can I kiss you, Lil?"

"You know that you don't have to ask every time right?" Cecilia joked. "But the answer is always yes." 

So, the two shared a kiss under the young moon, the waves sloshing against their waists providing the perfect soundtrack to the moment of passion, the two sliding into their own piece of forever.