Prologue

Sif knew she only had one option. She didn't want to do it, leave everything she knew behind. But if she didn't, she would be as good as dead because of her foolish actions. Though she was a strong warrior, an infernal tear slipped from her eye during the feast, catching the attention of a certain someone from across the table.

He looked at her with concern. Attempting to reassure him, she rolled her eyes and smiled as she discretely wiped the droplet away.

She knew he wasn't convinced, and that he would try to talk to her about it later, but she would be long gone by the time he got the chance.

The meal was as joyous and festive as any other. The eldest brother was drunk and telling outrageous battle stories, the younger was quiet and thoughtful. The King was, well, himself, and the queen was grinning ear to ear.

"We shall celebrate further! Lady Sif, are you not coming along?" The blonde asked when he noticed she wasn't following the group of men.

"I'm rather exhausted, boys. I think I will retire to my chambers early tonight."

The younger brother watched her suspiciously, "Are you sure, Sif?"

"Oh I'm fine. Now go have fun, I'll see you at the break of dawn for the training of the soldiers."

"Very well, then. Off we are!"

The second she got to her chambers, she grabbed her double-bladed sword and packed a small bag of the few Midgardian clothes she had that fit the realm's current trend. She waited impatiently for another hour, before heading to Heimdall.

+ + + + +

"You're not going to tell him first?" The way Heimdall asked it was more of a statement. She should be surprised that he knew her secret, but he could see everything, so she wasn't.

"The less he knows, the better."

"As you wish. But if I may help you to not raise suspicions in Midgard..."

"I would, appreciate it, actually."

Heimdall stepped close to her and touched a hand to her armoured stomach. "She will age like the Midgardians until she returns to Asgard or until her eighteenth birthday."

"It's a girl?" He gave a curt nod, and his lips twitched into a short smile. "Thank you, brother. Make sure he knows I love him, but please don't tell him where I am."

"I cannot promise anything."

"I understand."

Without another word he opened the bifröst and she disappeared.