Chapter Five

Clint picked her up from school on Monday. She was slightly confused because he usually didn't do that when he was "babysitting" her. Maybe it had something to do with their argument. Erica had apologized that morning but things were still tense. Liam spent the entire weekend at her apartment, only going to his to get different clothes. He was even there right now, surprising her by being too upset over Chelsea to go to school.

"How's Liam?" She told Clint the whole situation while they were training--but of course her friend couldn't know anything about S.H.I.E.L.D., so they made sure to not get into any of the intense stuff until he was asleep again that night. Clint was more than okay with Liam staying there for a few days.

He chuckled, "he's still pretty broken down, but better now that I taught him how to punch the guy in the face."

"You didn't..." Erica warned.

His eyes stayed focused on the road, "Yup."

"Clint," she complained, "now he's gonna end up doing something stupid!"

"You sound like your mom, you know that? Let the kid learn how to handle himself. People need to learn how to choose right from wrong--especially teenagers. By teaching him how to get a good swing in, he'll decide for himself to be good or bad."

"What if he chooses wrong?"

"He won't."

"How do you know?"

Clint rolled his eyes, "Sometimes you ask too many questions."

"I get that a lot." Erica shrugged.

"I don't doubt it." The car pulled into the parking lot below the brick apartment building. It was dark and dank and always put her on high alert, her senses automatically heightening without her knowing. She felt safer when they stepped in the elevator. "I know because aside from having excellent aim, another gift pride myself in is my judge of character."

It was strange for Clint to be so formal, recently he'd been acting like that a lot. Despite that, his words made her feel better that Liam wouldn't get himself into any trouble in the near future.

When they got to the apartment, Liam surprised them both by having lunch made for them and sitting out on the counter.

"Did you teach him how to cook too?"

"Hey, I already knew how!" Liam glared.

Erica gaped, "Since when?"

"I am a man of many mysteries. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for putting up with me these past few days. I know I've been a pain in the ass with all the blubbering and crap, so thanks."

+ + + + +

"Remind me why we've been eating McDonald's after school for the last two years if you knew how to cook this whole time?" Erica said later that night. They were in her bedroom doing homework--more like she was helping him with homework.

"Because my mom doesn't let me eat fast food."

"That was so much better than fast food. Why would you even want to think about consuming fast food when your mom taught you how to make heaven on a plate?" She protested. "Hell, if I'd known you could cook that well, I would never let you leave this place!"

"You're not going to kidnap me, right?" He joked.

"I don't know..." she pretended to ponder. He gave her an annoyed look that she shrugged off. "So are you gonna stay here again tonight? I'm sure your parents are worried about you. And what about your sister?"

Liam rolled his eyes, "Oh please, Cameron doesn't give a shit whether I'm there or not--she'd prefer if I wasn't, actually. And I'm pretty sure my parents are just as relieved as you are that Chelsea is a whore."

"All I did was warn you," Erica sat up from the desk chair where she had been lounging. "I can punch her in the face if you want me to."

He gave her a criticizing look that she'd seen seen million times. "You wouldn't hurt a fly, let alone a person."

Oh how wrong she wanted to prove him, but she held back by biting her tongue. She couldn't let him know about S.H.I.E.L.D., no matter how much she wanted to tell him, her mom would be pissed.

She heard the front door open, two people walking into the apartment. Who else is here? Shouldn't it just be Natasha? "I'll be right back." She didn't wait for Liam to respond before heading down the hallway to the living room.

She stopped short when she saw Natasha and Clint arguing...a teenage boy about her age, leaning against the wall, rolling his eyes at the two as if he'd seen them like that a million times. He was nearly as tall as Clint, with the same dirty blond hair and posture. Even from the opposite side of the dark room she could see his vibrant green eyes. Who was he? She had no idea.

Erica picked up some of the words flying out of Natasha's mouth as Russian. All of a sudden the teen started arguing in Russian with them. Erica picked up on a few basic words and phrases, but none that were important or gave up any information.

Surprised the world class agents hadn't yet noticed her presence, she cleared her throat. All three pairs of eyes darted in her direction. Clint and Natasha seemed the most bewildered.

"You seriously didn't notice her until now?" The teen broke the silence. He strode over to her and held out his hand, not seeming to care that the two agents behind appeared ready to kill him. "Daniel Barton, call me Danny. Nice to finally put a face to the name my parents never shut up about."

"Parents?" Her jaw hung open and she didn't shake his hand.

"I told you not to bring him here!" Clint whispered rather loudly.

"Clint, he's lived in Budapest his whole life!" Natasha argued back. "What the hell else was I supposed to do? He's almost seventeen and has been sheltered since he was born!"

"I know but it's not exactly the best time!"

"Why?"

"Because Sif had to go visit an old Asgardian pal of hers." Clint seemed to have realized what he said a moment too late.

Erica's head snapped up and interrupted them. "What do you mean by 'old Asgardian pal'?"