Chapter 30

I hope you enjoy this chapter. :)

(Reed)

3 Months later . . .

"Tonight's the big night," Carter said. "Are you ready?"

"No." I gripped the receiver so hard my hand started to ache. "I feel like I'm going to throw up." I heard his laughter through the phone. "It's not funny, man. I don't think I've ever been this scared in my life."

"You'll do fine," he assured me. "Remember to keep breathing. Also, stick some tissue in your pocket. Winifred's going to need them."

"You think she'll cry when I pop the question?" I said.

"If she's anything like Faith then yes," Carter told me. "You're doing the right thing, man. Winifred is a good woman."

"You don't have to tell me that because I already know." I closed my eyes. "She's been my rock these past several months. I know I wouldn't have gotten through it all without her. I'm the luckiest man in the world. If I ever take her for granted I want you to beat the hell out of me."

"You got it," he said. "Good luck. Call me tomorrow and let me know how it went."

I promised him I would and we said goodbye. No sooner had I hung up the phone and Winnie was stepping into the office. The sight of her had my heart leaping into my throat. I swallowed hard and said, "Hey, sweetheart."

"Hello, handsome." She crossed the room and placed a folder on my desk. "That's the Whitman contract you asked for."

"Thank you." I smiled up at her. "How long has it been since you kissed me?"

"I believe it's been hours." Winnie walked around to my side of the desk and bent down. She leaned in close, her mouth capturing mine. She tasted of chocolate and her own unique flavor. I was addicted and there was no cure for me.

We ended the kiss, reluctantly, and pressed our foreheads together. I ran my fingertips over her cheek. "We shouldn't wait hours to do that again."

Winnie grinned at me. "No, my love, we shouldn't." She pecked me on the lips and then straightened up. "I have some errands to run. I shouldn't be gone longer than an hour. When I get back I'll come in here and kiss you again."

"I'll be waiting impatiently." She left, closing the door behind her. I stared at the door, thinking of tonight.

Winnie looked stunning in the candlelight. She was wearing a sleeveless black dress that hugged her perfect figure. Her hair was up; exposing the graceful column of her neck, and diamonds glittered at her ears and throat. She was easily the most beautiful woman in the restaurant.

I reached across the table and placed my hand over hers. She glanced up from her dessert and looked at me. My heart skipped a beat and I thought about the ring in the pocket of my tuxedo jacket. A part of me wanted to get on one knee right then and there and ask her to marry me. I held myself in check. When I asked her, I wanted it to be just the two of us.

"Is something wrong?" she asked me. "You've been quiet all evening."

"I'm sorry." I sighed heavily. "I've got something on my mind."

"Do you want to tell me about it?" Winnie smiled at me. "Maybe I can help you."

"Are you done with your dessert?" I inquired.

"Yes."

"Then come with me." We left the table and made our way across the room toward the balcony. Once outside, I led her to a bench in a private corner and we sat down. I tilted my head back and gazed up at the sky. The stars were out and seemed brighter than usual.

"It's a beautiful night," Winnie muttered.

"Yes, it is." I turned my head and stared at her. "But you're more beautiful."

She leaned in close and kissed me on the mouth. "Thank you."

I slipped my arm around her waist and asked her, "Winnie, are you - are you happy with me?"

"Of course." She touched my cheek with her fingertips. "This is the happiest I've ever been. It's because of you, Reed. I thought you knew that."

"I needed to hear you say it." I cleared my throat. "We've been through a lot lately and I feel it's made us stronger as a couple."

"I think so, too," she agreed softly.

"You're everything to me, Winnie." I paused for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts and steady my frazzled nerves. Never had I been so nervous before. "I feel it's time for us to take our relationship to a new level-a more permanent one and I think-"

"Reed, just spit it out," Winnie told me. "What are you trying to say?"

It was now or never. I took a deep breath, removed the ring box from my pocket, and got down on one knee in front of her. Raising the lid, I gazed up into her eyes. "Winnie, I love you more than anything in this world. Would you do me the honor of becoming my wife? Will you marry me?" To my horror, she burst into tears. I don't know why I was so surprised by her tears. Carter told me this might happen. I wished I had remembered the tissues. "Sweetheart, what-"

"Yes," she whispered, swiping at her tears with a trembling hand. "Yes, I'll marry you, my love."

My own hand not so steady, I slipped the diamond engagement ring on her finger. It was a perfect fit. Without saying a word, I slid onto the bench and gathered her close. She kissed me and then laid her head on my shoulder.

"I love you," she croaked.

I squeezed her gently. "I love you, too."