Chapter 5

Thank you all for your support. Glad you're enjoying the story. Hope you enjoy this chapter. :)

(Winnie)

I let myself into Reed's house the following morning and made my way to the kitchen. There I found Lorna, Reed's chef, standing at the stove. She was turning bacon over in a skillet. I wished her a good morning as I made a beeline for the coffee pot.

"Good morning, Winifred," she said, glancing in my direction. "Have you had breakfast?"

"Yes, thank you for asking." I took a cup out of the cabinet next to the coffee pot and poured myself some coffee. "Where's the boss?"

"In his office." Lorna reached for her cup and took a drink. "He's refusing breakfast. According to him, he doesn't have the time to eat. I'm making something for him anyway." She smiled at me. "Maybe you can convince him to eat it."

"I doubt it very highly, but I'll give it a try." I made Reed a cup of coffee and left the kitchen. Passing through the spacious living room that was decorated in various shades of green and beige, I crossed the foyer and headed up the staircase. I walked down the hallway and entered the third room on my left.

It was a decent sized room with beige carpet and pale blue walls. A big desk was situated in front of a large window while a recliner and floor lamp was located in a corner. Floor to ceiling built-in bookcases made up one wall. Books of different genres filled the shelves.

Lying on the floor in a patch of sunlight, near the bookcases, was a six-month-old ginger kitten that Reed had named Starbucks. The kitten raised his head and looked at me with pale green eyes. As it did every time I saw him, my heart melted and a smile came to my lips. "Good morning, sweetie."

"Good morning, darling," Reed said. "Did you sleep well?"

I looked his way and saw he was smirking. "I was talking to Starbucks," I informed him.

"Sure you were." He winked at me. "We both know who you were talking to, Winnie. Don't deny that you're crazy about me. It's not healthy to bottle up your feelings."

Rolling my eyes, I moved toward him. I set his cup on the desk and took a sip from mine. "Lorna told me you're skipping breakfast."

"I don't have time to eat." Reed gestured at the stack of papers in front of him. "I have to go over these documents before the board meeting, which is in-" He checked his watch. "Two hours. Thank you for the coffee. Now show yourself to the door."

"No," I said firmly.

He raised his head and looked at me with an arched eyebrow. "What did you say to me?"

"I said no." I cocked my head slightly to the left. "Do I need to remind you that breakfast is the most important meal of the day? You are going to make time to eat."

"Is that right?" Reed asked, sounding amused. "If I refuse what are you going to do about it? Hold me down and force food down my throat." I glared at him. "You have spunk, Monroe. I like that about you."

"Are you going to eat?" I demanded to know.

"If it will make you happy then yes," he answered, "but you have to bring it to me."

"Alright." I turned to leave and stopped when Reed said my name. "What?" I queried.

"I was wondering." Reed sat back in his chair and rubbed the nape of his neck. "Are you busy tomorrow night?"