We Found a Baby in the Woods

Sonic's POV

"Tails hurry!" I shouted. Tails hurried behind me, we were going into the woods to find a rare emerald This was a fire emerald. "Which way?"

"Um...the left. Wait, right...no; left. Ug, the trees are blocking the signal." He said.

"We have to get there before Egghead does. Well, fly up the tree and check it out."

"Alright." He flew above the trees. "It's right... In front of us?" Tails asked in a muffle voice.

"Where?" I asked.

"We're standing right above it. It's buried under us." He said landing safely on the ground.

"Well, let's get digging!" I exclaimed. We dug for hours.

"It's not here..." I sighed. "We've at least dug thousands of holes. We've gotta go home. It's late, it's dark. We better go home."

"Sonic, wait! I think I-" The ground shook. Tails fell backward. I fell to my knees. A fiery red came from cracks in the ground. Light beams shone out. The dirt broke into a small hole, a flower in flames bloomed. The light was so bright I couldn't see. My dirt covered face, tightened.

The light dimmed and a fiery object lit the middle of it. Tails and I stood walking closer, inch by inch, careful not to get harmed. We finally were close enough to see what was lighting it.

"Sonic it's a-"

"Baby?" I asked. A small black and red hedgie laid curled inside the pedals. I touched it. It started uncurling. It's confused little fiery eyes stared at us.

"It's kinda cute-"

"Aaaaaaaaaaahhh!" A massive scream came from him. It hurt my ears.

"Make it stop!" Tails yelled, covering his ears. I quickly picked it up and rocked it. It started to get quiet. I set it back down on the pedals. He stared at us.

"Let's go home. The emerald is not here." I said walking away. The baby started to cry.

"Sonic!"

"What?" I asked.

"We can't leave it alone here. It will die." He said. I turned back around. It stopped crying, but tears still streamed down his face.

"It's mother will come, now let's go." I said grabbing Tails by the arm, turning back around and walking away. The hedgie started to cry again.

"Sonic, please." Tails whined. I groaned, looking back at the hedgie. He gasped for air, trying to recover the air loss from screaming with all its might while it cried.

"Fine!" I shouted. I took the small one from the flower. The flower wilted and the fire pedals burned out. "Now let's go home."

Tails and I dashed home in the
X-Tornado. We landed in the garage. The small one grabbed my finger and toyed with it. I handed Tails the baby.

"Now... How are we gonna get it up stairs without Amy seeing us?!" I whispered-shouted, shaking Tails. Dirt came from his body. We were covered in dirt and our fur had brown patches, our muzzled were stained with brown.

"I have a plan."

I crawled in through the living room window.

"This is the most ridiculous idea ever!" I whispered. I stepped on a bag of chips. Shows you how messy I am.

"Sonic? Is that you?" Amy's voice came from the kitchen.

"Um... Yeah, Tails and I were...um, out getting some tools for the plane."

"Oh, well... Are you guys hungry? I'll make something to eat. It'll be finished in some minutes."

"Alright." Tails and I started to go carefully up stairs, trying not to alarm Amy.

She turned to us, Tails hid the youngster behind his back.

"Um...why are you guys covered in dirt?" My ears perked up as the young one started to make muffled cried. "Tails what's that?"

"Um...it's Peppermint. That lousy cat." I said.

"Sonic, we don't have a cat." My ears perked up.

"Right. Um..."

"What's going on? I'm serious." She crossed her arms and tapped her foot. I sighed.

"Well... We found a baby in the woods."

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"It's true, look." Tails revealed the youngster. She gasped. She took it from his hands.

"That's no way to treat a baby!" She shouted. She rubbed the young one's cheek. "Hey sweetheart." She cooed. "What do you mean by 'we found him in the woods'?"

"Well..." I went through everything, all the details. The whole story.

"So that's why you guys are covered in dirt. Oh I see... Now go upstairs and go shower!" She told us. "I'll take care of him."

"Him?" Tails and I asked.

"Yes, him."