CHAPTER TEN: LOVELY

🪘🪘🪘

LOVELY

Believe me. I know I shouldn't feel attracted to him. I just got out of an unexpected breakup. My family is edging me on into an arranged marriage, and I constantly have nightmares of his death. This cannot be any worse of a time to feel this way and yet, here I am.

Barely, I scratched the back of my neck. "No, it's okay. It's your personal life and... I really don't need to pry." I quoted, believing this was the right way to avoid familiarizing myself with him and edging my concerns even more.

"You're not prying... we're friends, and it's okay to share with friends."

I smiled. The word 'friend' suddenly didn't sound so satisfying anymore. It made me feel small, like I was alone in my world. Mentally, I shook my head. I'm being a drama queen and dragging everything out of proportion. Cergio is being nice to me, trying to make conversation, and I shouldn't leave him hanging.

"Okay." I stated after a while of hesitation. "What happened to your leg?"

"I was in a fatal accident and this was before I became a pastor." He started, and I nodded in accordance. I watched him stare out into space, obvious to the fact that he was remembering those moments. An accident? I couldn't imagine how hard that must have been for him.

"It was any normal day. I woke up, got dressed, had breakfast, and headed out for work in my car. I never look at my phone while driving, but that morning... I did and when I looked back up, a bus of kindergartens came in front of me. On impulse, I averted, and that resulted in my car somersaulting." He shifted his eyes to me. "I was in a coma for six months and when I woke up, I'd severely injured my right leg. It's a miracle I can walk."

A hand on my chest, "Oh, I'm sorry you had to go through that. Now, I understand why you became a pastor." I added, a sympathetic expression detailed on my face, but that gradually went away when I noticed the light furrow between his brows.

"I didn't become a pastor because of the accident. Yes, it gave me a push into ministry, but... I've always been a man of faith. He'd been calling out to me for so long to serve him, and I... I didn't want to. My dream was to be one of the best engineers, travel the world so, I disobeyed and yet he saved me. He gave me a second chance at life, a new purpose. Now, I see everything with a unique perspective. Life isn't just existing, it's a gift and..." He shut his eyes for a second as he turned away, rolling his lips in. "... And now, I'm ministering. You're uncomfortable, aren't you?" He queried out of concern, and gently, I shook my head, a smile lurking around my face.

"Not exactly true. You said it's a testimony you're always grateful to share, and by that statement, I prepared my mind to listen for how long it might take."

. Cergio let out a short laughter. "Thank you." He appreciated.

"For what?" I queried, still wearing a smile, unable to mask it away.

"Listening and not acting indifferent towards me because of my faith and title."

"Well, let me tell you, your wife or girlfriend is lucky to have you." Really? Kasie, why?

He leaned closer to the table, a strange amusement in his eyes. "Thank you, but I have neither of them."

"Really? A good-looking man like you?" Mentally, I covered my mouth with both hands. What is wrong with me? I'm acting different. Why would I say that? Now, how do I mask my embarrassment? Keep smiling like I didn't just somehow hit on him? How did I even do that? I've never done that before. I should stop talking.