CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: LUNCH

🪘🪘🪘

LUNCH

Suddenly, Chidera got up from her seat and moved to the opposite seat, which was right beside her brother. "You can seat right next to Kasie, Cergio." She offered with a warm smile and he nodded while mentioning, "thank you." Finally, the silence broke, but really, Chidera was not making my art of not sharing the fact Cergio and I are in a relationship any easier. She flashed me a quick, cheerful smile. I narrowed my eyes at her after I took over the seat she just left and Cergio sat on the next one right beside me.

Finally, we can get right to what we've all gathered here for in the first place and that was food to eat. The 25th of December and 1st of January are the days most Nigerian homes prepare almost everything they've got in the house. We make as much as we can, even though we know we might not eat all. Somehow, everyone expects to have guests.

Instead of the traditional practice of Christmas decorations, Christmas trees and practicing the act of gift exchange, we simply gather around and eat till we're almost ready to throw up. I could remember as a child when I forced myself to eat every single dish with the thought of 'mummy will not make this again'. Most times, I end up sick the next day and till I'm done throwing up, I never feel better. Good old days.

Now, staring at the buffet of food displayed on the table, of which there was jollof rice, fried rice, white rice, pepper soup, coleslaw, fried chicken and turkey. They smelled delicious, and the thought of which to pick first cheered on a weak smile on my face. Unplanned, I looked at Cergio and our eyes met. He flashed me a smile, enough for me to know he'd been staring. I couldn't be more embarrassed. He must have seen me ogling at the food. Right there, I wished I could defend myself and tell him I'm usually not so much of a glutton, but it has become a habit to be excited on such a day. I mean, how often do you see so many preferences at the same time.

"Cergio, what happened to your leg?" Lota's voice interrupted our moment just as aunt Ruby dished out the food. One spoon of fried rice and another of jollof rice, a turkey, a chicken and some coleslaw on each plate except for anyone who preferred white rice and pepper soup.

I bent my head a little to the side and glared at Lota who sat opposite Jachi, a sign for her to realise such a big mistake she'd made by asking that question but she wouldn't budge. Why would she ask that out of the blue?

"I don't think Cergio is comfortable answering that." I spoke up before he could and only after then did I realise I shouldn't have done that.

"Cergio, are you uncomfortable?" She asked, her gaze directed at him, clearly disregarding my statement. I folded my hand into a fist as I felt the urge to slap her on her face.

"No, not at all." Cergio replied, and I released my hand. "I walk the way I do because of a terrible car accident."

"Oh... I see." Lota added before looking away. Thank God. I picked up my spoon and scooped some rice.

"Kasie and Cergio have become good friends, isn't that great?" Hearing Jachi's voice forced me to halt on carrying the spoon of rice into my mouth. For a second, I shut my eyes in embarrassment. Now, Jachi? What is going on with them? Isn't there anything else to talk about? Really, I don't recall asking for their help in breaking the news of my relationship with Cergio to them.

When no one did not as much as give a reply, I felt a bit relieved and eventually scooped some rice into my mouth then quietly chew, all the while refusing to lift my eyes away from my plate for fear of meeting any questioning gaze.

"As good friends, Kasie must have told you about her marriage engagement, right?" Mum's voice made me freeze for a few seconds. I couldn't look in her direction. At least, not yet.