CHAPTER ELEVEN: KINSMEN

🪘🪘🪘

KINSMEN

Breathe in... and breathe out.

I repeated repeatedly in my mind. My eyes shut, legs folded, I tried my best to empty my mind. My goal for reliving my yoga days was to relieve stress. Maybe I'll finally be able to sleep well at night. Although the room was quiet and the door shut, I could hear voices from downstairs. Aunty Ruby's the most. My brows squeezed as I felt the irritation coming on. Finally, I gave up and opened my eyes.

What is going on with them today? They're usually never noisy, or at least loud enough to my hearing. Do we have guests? We always seem to have one guest or the other. Sighing, I got up to my feet, put on my slippers, and made my way to the door.

As I neared the end of the staircases, I saw aunty Ruby directing the house help who held a tray of drinks towards the living. Okay, we definitely have a guest. She looked my direction and spotted me. Her eyes flared up in surprise, and I watched as she hurried her way to him.

"Oh no, no, no, you are going back to change into something presentable." She declared, forcing me around and dragging me back up the staircase towards my room. I felt even more speechless as she went through my box for something I could wear.

"Why didn't you unpack?" She queried, her tone not requiring a reply to her question. I shifted my eyes elsewhere, out of guilt. I unpacked but then packed again when I decided I was going to leave when no one's around.

"There's nothing here that is presentable enough for you to wear." She declared, giving up.

I furrowed my brows at her. "Who exactly is downstairs and why does it matter what I wear?"

She lifted her eyes to me and for a moment, I could see the hesitation in her eyes.

"It doesn't matter. Put on an English wear, you'll still be beautiful." She stated before displaying a smile, and that didn't quite convince me.

"Here, this is perfect." She picked out and hurried to me. "Change right away." I stared at her with inquisitive eyes, but she wouldn't meet my gaze. "Kasiemobi be fast, there's no time to waste." She added in our dialect, urging me on towards the bathroom.

Just like a ram being dragged to the slaughter, so was I. It didn't matter how many times I asked Aunt Ruby, she wouldn't say, but she was good at dragging me along with her. Finally, I gave in and quietly went along all the way to the living room.

There was mum, uncle Chimdi, his son, Junior, three other male relatives and... Kamalu. I can't believe he's back. Why mum isn't listening to my decision? I'm unable to understand.

"Kasie, you've met Kamalu. Today, he's here with his kinsmen to ask traditionally for your hand in marriage." Uncle Chimdi introduced while wearing a ridiculous smile on his face. They all wore a smile on their faces and I fixated my gaze on mum, who met my eyes and even though I cried out to her with my stare to stop this, she simply widened her eyes at me, dishing out a good warning.

"Go on, Kasie, greet them." Uncle Chimdi urged once more, still wearing his ridiculous smile. I spared Kamalu a glance, and everything Jachi told me about his family came flooding back. Why are they doing this to me?

"Kasie, go on, don't be shy." Uncle Chimdi added in relation to my hesitation before he released a chuckle. His own annoying way of lightening the mood. I shifted my eyes to him. It was obvious I didn't support this, but none of them were ready to listen to me.

"Kasie." Mum called, and I didn't need to look at her to understand what that call meant. Quietly, I drew in a deep breath and wore a fake smile on my face. I think I know what to do. Casually, I walked up to Kamalu and his kinsmen. Humbly, I greeted them and they wore a wider smile on their faces as they nodded in acceptance.