Kuro's Fool-Proof Plan on Surviving the Tri-Skill Tournament (Part 3)

As I was having fun in training with my new toy—I mean, weapon, I didn't notice the passing of time. Well, I knew the Cherseans didn't have that complicated concept of 'time' itself, but they knew when to eat, sleep, and do something their mind had set to do.

"Kuro!"

"!!!"

I almost froze on my spot when I heard another familiar voice come up a few meters away from where I was training. Turning around, I'm shocked to see no other than Her Holiness, the Great Saint of Chersea, marching towards me.

"Oh, Y-your H-holiness!" I blurted out, trying in vain to hide the weapon I had in my hand.

"I was wondering what are those explosions I'm hearing..." she replied with a half-angry, half-anxious look on her face, "Turns out, it's just you."

"Did I disturb you, Your Holiness?"

"No, don't worry about it. I was just out doing some exercises you recommended. It's almost dinner, you know? And I can't see you around. For a moment I was worried you got thrown in the dungeon once again. What are you doing?"

Well, her cute 'cheerleader' clothes confirmed her statement. I guess she only wears those cute, short dresses whenever she needed to do something that requires a lot of movement. Anyway, I guess I need to stop practicing. "Oh, right...dinner, huh? Well, I was...you see...playing with something."

"I see..." but Her Holiness continued, "So, tell me, Kuro, why did you join the tournament?"

"!!!" The shock from her question made me unable to answer for a few seconds. That was so sudden I could not think of a quick reply. And when I reflected about it, of course, it's just a matter of time that she'd learn of my registration; after all, her father had allowed me to join.

"I know that thing in your hand. That's a demon weapon."

"Yes, it is, Your Holiness."

"Why?"

"Err..." Shit. I needed to keep myself from thinking of that agreement I had with her siblings, or—

"Did Sophia and William coerce you to join and fight for me?"

I knew it. She had read my mind.

"Haa..." I could only sigh in surrender. It's useless to hide things from her unless Her Holiness opted not to read my mind.

"Mister Kuro, you know you're not a warrior in your world, more so in this one!" the Saint had a deep frown on her face, "And even though the tournament has a substitute doll in place, it would still hurt terribly! Why did you do that?"

"..."

"Won't you at least give me an answer?"

"Hmm...I wonder why did I join?"

"Stop giving me vague answers!" Well, this is a first. The Saint raising her voice confirmed that she's angry.

"Don't you have the ability to read my mind?" Honestly, explaining it to her in words would take time. As I didn't want to be disturbed right now, I couldn't avoid snapping, "Why don't you do it?"

Her Holiness became silent for a few moments as if she's peering deep into my soul. Well, it's not like I got something to hide from her anymore, so I let her see my intentions without interference.

"..."

"..."

We stared at each other. I guess she was carefully reading into my thoughts; I couldn't hide it, anyway. It took her a few moments, but then, Her Holiness' expression turned from anxiety and anger to that of pure concern. Somehow, I could tell that she understood the things I had in my mind...