At the Braunhauer Household (Part 3)

"Ahem. Anyway, Your Excellency, I have several recommendations about the situation." I explained, "You see, the nature of the problem stems from the abuse of royal authority, which is represented by the crown prince himself. And because of that, I think it would be beneficial for your cause, as well as for the kingdom, to limit the power of the monarch, as well as his officials."

"How do we do that?" the Duke doubtfully asked, "The von Alberts have been ruling this land simply because they have the power to do so."

"Dad?" Eris suddenly interjected into our conversation, "Don't you think that the king's power was because the people supported them? Eris read those in the books..."

"Eris. Don't just barge in adults' talk." Lady Ulrika Marie Hanna sternly rebuked her.

"E-Eris is sorry, mom..."

What the young duchess said had substance to it, "Well, I agree with what Eris—I mean, Lady Eris said. If you put it into practical terms, their power is from the support of the military and the guilds, both of which are in personal allegiance to them. And with those, the powerless common folk had no alternative but to give their support to the monarch as well."

"See?" Eris had a triumphant look on her face, "Eris is right!"

"Shh! Eris, please be quiet!" Lady Ulrika Marie Hanna tried to hush her up once again.

The Duke chuckled, but eventually never paid attention to what happened, "Hmm...I get your point, Sir Kuro. But how do we limit their power?"

"First, codify your laws. Write them down, complete with specific terms and punishment system." I asked for a pen and paper, then wrote my concept, "For example, what is considered a 'debt'? What are the options for your people to pay the 'debt'? In case they cannot pay it, what happens to them? What punishments can be applied, according to the severity of their violation? For how long will it last? Questions like that, Your Excellency."

"Mister Kuro!" Eris' eyes were sparkling, "If the king did that, then he will have a factual basis for our laws, right?"

"Yep, it's like it would be set in stone: no one could easily break or bend it." I also added, "Codifying your laws would also help you identify which applies to the actual situation, and what should be kept in the 'tradition' department."

"Hoh..."

"M-Mister Kuro!" Eris once again raised her hand.

"Eris. One more time and we would have to send you out of the room." Mistress Johanna finally gave her a warning, "You're interrupting the talk of the adults."

"S-Sorry...mother."

"It's okay, Madame." I told Mistress Johanna, "Lady Eris could learn a lot from this."

"She's still of tender age." Lady Ulrika Marie Hanna replied, "I doubt she'll have any useful ideas in this matter."

Well, it's quite true. But hey, sometimes, a kid can offer insights that can lead to resolving the problem...

I stole a glance at the young duchess from the corner of my eyes. She remained silent and meek, but I could tell from her face that she had a lot of things to say. Really, what's the harm of listening to a child sometimes?

I continued, "Another benefit of codifying laws is that every time a violation happens, you could always consider it for reference. For short, your kingdom will have a legal 'basis' for judgment, potentially curtailing the abuse of those in power."

"Oooh! Mister Kuro, so if it is not in the code of laws, then it is illegal judgment?"

"Precisely, Lady Eris." I'm surprised that the young duchess could perceive that concept, "And such pronouncements should be disregarded."