Chapter-2: Second Meeting

(Play the song before starting)

The dining room was echoing the sound of 'clink clank'. The temperature was set a bit cold because of hot weather. It was mid-summer.

Aunt Bella put down her fork gently and looked at Evelyn with a warm smile.

"How was your day? Did you play with your friends?" She asked as she patted the napkin elegantly against her red tainted lips. Her father also looked up from his food and gave her a curious glance. He was always worried about this daughter of his.

Although she was just eight years old, the separation of his and his wife had caused a deep scar on her childhood. He knew that making her select between her parents was too cruel for this child. Hence they decided to let her come every weekend to her father's.

He would have spent the day with her if it wasn't for an emergency case arising in the company. Successful entrepreneurs didn't have any vacation after all.

Evelyn was silently playing with her food, pushing aside all the peas out of the rice. It wasn't like she was a picky eater or didn't like peas. She was just doing it subconsciously while she was lost in thoughts. Thoughts that shouldn't concern an eight-year-old.

She stopped when she heard Aunt Bella addressing her. Her eyes shifted upward and came into view the gentle smile of hers. Her eyes quietly peeked at her father who was also looking at her now. Her lips pursed slightly, not noticeable at all.

"Y-yeah." Just a word and the conversation came to end. Should this be the response of a child who played all day with her friends? No enthusiasm, no joy to be seen.

Aunt Bella gave Conall a worried look which he returned. This didn't go unnoticed by Evelyn. The overwhelming feeling of guilt and anxiousness came back. She had to make them know that everything was right. She couldn't worry them.

Her heart felt heavy and burdened.

"I-I made a n-new friend today." She muttered anxiously, hoping that it would make them feel at ease. She realized that the kids were right. She indeed was gloomy.

Her father and Aunt Bella looked at each other in slight surprise before they covered their shock.

"That is good. Very good! Call them over when you come next week, honey." Aunt Bella encouraged Evelyn. She didn't have any grudges against this shy child. In fact, such a meek child arouses your desire to protect and spoil them. She also knew that her husband cherished this daughter of his. It was just his serious attitude and busy schedule that didn't let him show that often.

Conall gave her an approving nod and turned to his daughter.

"Aunt Bella is right. Now finish your dinner and sleep early. Dad would take you back tomorrow morning personally." Conall spoke gently but his stern expression didn't make it much effective. 

Evelyn lowered her eyelids and nodded obediently. Her father went back to his study after finishing dinner. Aunt Bella accompanied her to her room and asked the maid to bring her a glass of milk.

She felt warm in her heart as she saw the care Aunt Bella was giving her. Her mother didn't accompany her to bed at night. Neither did she gave her the hot glass of milk at night.

She was mostly busy attending parties with Uncle Michael. They often came back home late. Although she felt lonely in that big house, she couldn't complain. Her mother would get mad if she did. She would become a burden that way. Moreover, it wasn't that bad. Today mom had dressed her personally to send her off.

Uncle Michael also bought her chocolates and showed her affection. She just had to be the obedient child so that she won't be abandoned as those kids said. She wasn't abandoned and won't be.