Chapter-1: First Meeting

(Play the song before you start)

A small body was squatting down behind the curve of the slide. She could hear the whispers and laughter of other children from time to time.

Her hands trembled, making her clasp them together tighter. Her eyes were teary but she didn't want to cry.

They would make more fun of her if she cried, she thought. She felt lost and afraid. She had approached the other kids when the aunt had sent her to the playground near the establishment. Kids from all the neighbourhood gathered here to play.

The district was on the richer side of the city. All the establishments there were made for rich people. So, all the kids who came there were from families with prominent backgrounds.

She wasn't that different from them. She was wearing a pink frock that reached her knees. A pair of pink shoes and a pink bow-band adorned her shoulder-length light brown hair.

Her father didn't have time and had to leave for office before she arrived. When she reached home, the aunt who was now married to her father welcomed her with a warm smile. It made her somewhat tense nerves relax.

It had been the first time she had visited home since she left with her mother to live in other house. That house was also huge. It was beautiful and elegant. But it wasn't her home. Her home was here, with her father. She wished her parents were still living together. Maybe then these kids won't tease her?

It wasn't her fault if her parents separated. When she asked them to let her join in the play they just brushed her off saying, "We would rather stay away from you. People with chaotic families are not a good influence."

Another one added, "You look so gloomy. We don't want to play with you."

How did she look gloomy? What should she do to make friends with them? She was getting more and more anxious with every passing minute. The separation of her parents was a rather big scandal in the circle.

In the end, she could only sit by herself. If she went back so soon, aunt will worry. She didn't want to trouble her or her father. What if because of that she couldn't visit her father next time? 

"Hey, what are you doing here all alone?" A warm voice sounded from above as a shadow loomed over her. Her eyes moved up to look at the boy who was bending over her. Sunlight shone over his brown locks, threading through them. His warm green eyes glittered, curved into a cheerful arc. An easy smile playing over his lips. 

He looked like a prince from one of those fairy tales her teacher had read them. It was the first time another kid had approached her. Her expression was dumbfounded.

The boy's eyebrows jumped up, seeing the teary eyes of the little girl. He thought that maybe the girl was hurt. His mother always told him to take care of those who were younger than him.

"Are you hurt somewhere?" He asked anxiously. The little girl was still staring at him without uttering a word. His question brought her back to the present and she lowered her eyes.

She couldn't figure out why such a sunny kid was talking to her. She was obviously outcasted by those other kids. Her eyes turned to look at other kids who were playing happily among themselves.

The boy's eyes followed her movement and realized something. His expression eased up and he sat down beside her. Since they were sitting beneath the slide curve, the space was a bit cramped even for little kids.

The boy was taller than her so he could only bend over his knees to fit beside her.

He faced her with a calm expression. His eyes were as warm as the summer breeze.

"Did those kids bully you?" He inquired. The question in itself was upsetting but the way he spoke made her relax. She looked down at her hands and didn't respond. She felt afraid again.

If this boy knew why she has pushed aside, he would also not talk to her. It was already so hard for her to make friends. She didn't know how to talk or what to talk about to make others interested in being friends with her.

The boy hmmed without getting an answer. A while later he pulled out a chocolate eclair from his shorts' pocket. He offered her the candy. The girl couldn't help but look at him in shock. It was the first time someone gave her anything. Of course, the uncle who they lived with now often brought her expensive chocolates and toys. But he wasn't her friend.

Did this mean the boy wanted to be friends with her?

The boy raised his eyebrows again, urging her to take it. She hesitantly moved her hand forward and finally took the candy.

The boy smiled brightly at her shyness.

"Good. What's your name?" He asked cheerfully.

She clenched the candy tightly in her palm before replying. There came the end of this good meeting. Now he won't want to be friends with her.

"E-evelyn." She stuttered out. Her heart raced fast as she waited for the crude judgement that was coming soon.

"Hey, you are from the Conall's house? What a surprise! We just moved into the house next to yours. We are neighbors then!" The boy exclaimed happily. His jolly behavior was affecting her. She also relaxed, a sigh leaving her small mouth.

"By the way, my name is Shane. I have to go now. I sneaked out so that mum won't make me tidy my room. She must be mad by now. See you tomorrow." The boy said. He stood immediately and turned to leave without hearing her reply.

Evelyn was looking at his back when he suddenly stopped and turned around. She was surprised as to why he would stop when the boy smiled brightly and waved at her enthusiastically.

Then he ran away. She looked down at her closed hand. Her fist slowly opened. She stared at the candy for a while before whispering.

"But I won't be here tomorrow."

She was going back tomorrow early morning to her mom's place. Will the boy remember her when they meet next week?