Chapter One: Autumn Again

As the horizon highlights in the distance, after the cold frosty night that was yesterday, the sun rises proudly, letting the world know of its presence, peeping in at all the windows of the town of Onfield. The cool air that plagued these streets was enough to refresh one's mind. A few gusts of breezy wind dance throughout the quiet neighbourhood, as leaves fall from the trees like snow.

A few blocks down, lay a house just like the others, blending in with all the bricks and gave the overall feeling of nothing going on. A sea of leaves paint the walkway up to the house, more drops plopping down. A work of art from a distance. Like something you would see from another world. As another one bagan its descent into the rest of its family of nature, the front door of the house slams open, a shockwave blowing the leaves out of its path, showering the road that lay ahead. Some came flying back, not wanting to leave their precious laying down spot behind, others went to find a new spot to hang out on, awaiting a crunch by a foot. The individual that slammed open the door, was nothing but a toonman boy, wearing a plain red V-neck  t-shirt along with dark grey trousers, and black sneakers. There was a beaming smiling expression on the boys face as he stepped out onto the path, spinning about, letting the few remaining leaves to shower him in a series of orange and golden browns. He chuckled, brushing off a few of the leaves off his black greasy hair, never remembering to take a shower every two days. Another boy stumbles out also, becoming blinded by the sun, as he just rushed breakfast, still chewing on some bacon bits. He wipes off some of the remains of toast off his t-shirt and shoots a side eye to his red shirted brother. He wore the same outfit as Tom, only his shirt was a chill green V-neck instead. The brothers thought it would be funny if they were like double opposites to each other, with one difference. Tom, the red shirted younger brother, gestures his drowsy green sibling hastily to follow along, another leaf landing on his head gently.

"Come on, slow poke!" says Tom, exiting the path onto the walkway near the road.

"I'm coming, I'm coming." says Jack, the green shirted older brother, blinking so he could adjust his vision.

"I'm going to stack the tallest tower of books you're ever going to see. Maybe I'll even slide down the stairs with one giant book! Or maybe they have Dungeons and Dragons we can play!"

"I heard being a librarian is a very important task, dude. You gotta like, sort out books with other books within bookshelves and stuff..." Jack takes the walkway beside Tom

Reaching the junction, Tom rushes ahead, angering a driver in a black car as they honk their horn repeatedly. Jack looks both ways awkwardly, trying to appear friendly to the unamused driver.

"Wouldn't it help to y'know... look both ways before crossing the road?" says Jack, irked at Toms recklessness.

"There's no time to look both ways Jack! Sometimes you just gotta book it if you wanna get somewhere!"

"Yeah. The hospital."

With no cars on the road to their left, one runs ahead once more whilst the other shrugs, deciding whether to be happy for his younger brother or protect him from oncoming traffic. Stepping onto the footpath on the other side, more interested in the mossy wall, Tom runs his fingers across the brick of it as he walked, spongy balls of shaved off moss covering his finger tips. Jack puts his hands in his pockets, glancing about at his surroundings.

"That's gross dude." says Jack, trying not to look.

Tom was entranced by the moss, now falling off where it once stuck, a small line of black and dark green following them.

"Hey so uhh, you have that paper thingy?"

"Paper? What, for school? There's no tests we need to study for. Or are you talking about the library?"