Chapter Three: Fate Calls Them

Down into the darkness the brothers went. The walls were rich with dark, indigo colored rocks and bricks, poking and bumping out like rough terrain. The ground itself became increasingly more dirt filled, as what was once made of stone, had given in to the age of the cave. A constant dripping of water could be heard, tapping at the hard surfaces as they echo about like a water cave.

"Sleep my child, there's nothing to fear, fear is mild, I'll hold you my dear..." mumbles Jack to himself, singing something.

"Woah, that song again? Mum sang that to us when we were like, something years old." Says Tom, nearly tripping over some stones.

"It calms me down, okay? You sucked on your thumb all the time whenever you heard it." Says Jack.

"Are you sure that wasn't you sucking my thumb?" Says Tom.

"Jokes on you, I can't remember so I can't confirm..." Says Jack, obviously making an excuse. He continues to mumble the verse to himself as they tread lightly down some unstable stairs which looked like they were going to crack from the erosion. The depths of the caves grew bigger and bigger with each passing step. There were ledges to cross over, which connected to other ledges opposite to them, as they stood there, wondering if their little venture into these caves were worth it at all. Tom didn't want to look down, as he kept his eyes forward, pretending as if he was looking at other parts of the cave.

"What's there to look at? It's just rock." said Jack, observing the cliff before him.

"Just... trying to look for a different path. Th-this way looks exciting right?" mumbles Tom, pointing at an opening in the wall.

"That's... the way we came dude." says Jack, turning to look at him. "Are you okay?" He walks over to Tom, seeing him slowly shuffle away from the ledge.

"Jack I... I don't think you know this man... but vertigo plays with me here." says Tom, looking a little unsettled. "Down there? Hell? Pit of spikes? Old women?"

"I mean I'm happy to turn back if you want," says Jack, "Ms.Holliton is probably gonna kill us by now."

"B-... but adventuuure..." groans Tom, shifting between the excitement of adventure and the dangers that came with it. He tries to look confident around Jack, but that dark pit below them was enough to let his vertigo take over.

"Drop a rock down there," says Jack, scooping one up, "See how far down it goes." They both stand near the ledge, as Jack loosens his grip on the rock, and watches it go, descending into the darkness of the pit. There was a long pause between them, as they could hear nothing but the ambient fog surround them. A few seconds pass, which felt like minutes, until the crashing sound of a rock hitting the ground in a dusty explosion could be heard faintly from down below, sending the boys in a bit of a shiver.

"Hold my hand." says Tom, standing near the ledge as he reaches his hand out to him. Jack was about to mumble something, when Tom cuts him off. "Hold. My hand. We gotta see what's on the other side!"

Jack, unwillingly, holds his brothers hand, as Tom grips it tightly and they traverse the rocky bridge slowly. Tom never looked down, keeping his head up as far as it could go, keeping his eyes on the other side. He walks on his tippy toes as he does this, as Jack traverses with him, looking back at the exit. They were definitely fired.

After a tense thirty second ordeal, their feet were now on safe ground. Tom breathes in and out, probably a little too dramatically as he collects himself.

"We get to keep our extra lives..." says Tom, still gripping tightly to Jacks hand.

"Yeah. Too bad we only have one." says Jack, trying his best to rip his hand away from Toms. "You can let go now."

Burning Tale (concluded draft)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें