10 | dress

"Do you think Papa is going to be upset with us?" Delilah questioned, her gaze drawn to her ruined dress. She was terrified because it had only been a few weeks since they had been back home and since the traumatic incident, and she was already ruining things.

Luca gave a shake of his head. "Lilah, I don't think so. Remember how nice Papa is to us? He's not going to be mean to us like the others, okay?"

Delilah remained uneasy but nodded, "Okay."

Luca and Delilah walked down the hall to the room where Oliver slept. He'd built the twins a toy room not far from his own.

It took him a moment to feel comfortable leaving them alone for so long, but he soon relaxed.

Hand in hand, they entered the room. Delilah gently shook her sleeping father, and Oliver's eyes opened. He yawned loudly, causing Luca to scrunch up his nose, then turned to Delilah and whispered, "Papa has bad breath."

Delilah burst out laughing. Oliver, now fully awake, grinned. "What are you laughing about, munchkins?"

"Um... we don't know," Luca said shyly, shrugging his shoulders.

Delilah's giggling came to a halt when she noticed Oliver looking down at her pink-painted dress. "I apologize, papa. I really didn't mean to," she mumbled, her eyes starting to water.

Oliver shook his head. "No, no. Come here, sweetheart."

Delilah approached Oliver, who was now sitting with his back to the headboard. Delilah was lifted from the ground and placed on the bed beside him.

"You didn't do anything wrong, okay? I promise I'm not mad. Everyone makes mistakes. And I think the dress looks great like that, what do you think?" Oliver turned to face Luca.

He nodded quickly as he looked at Delilah.

"I think it's lovely, Lilah."

Delilah's lips curled into a smile. "Thank you." That made her very happy.

He kissed their heads as he drew Luca up onto the bed with them. "I love you two so, so much."

"We love you too, papa." Luca replied quietly, his and Lilah's heads resting on Oliver's chest.

They will remember moments like this for the rest of their lives.