Chapter 9

The world was spinning, blurry, it was hard to breathe, hard to hear over the pounding of his heart.

Forrest was panicking.

"What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck" he chanted in a low wavering whimper.

Why would she say that? Why would she think that? Forrest couldn't remember the deer, or a lot of other times when the darkness took over. It was just blackouts, he thought, normal for someone drinking too much. Right?

Was it normal to come home with blood on your truck? With bruises all over you. Scrapes from god knows what. Falls and asphalt, he'd chalked it up to. But part of him always thought he was a piece of shit, so it hurt even worse when Opal thought so too.

Am I the Beast of Brookville?

"What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck" continued undulating out of him. Heaving like the words were forcing their way out. 

I'm not. I know I'm not.

But...

No.

The timelines matched up. It wasn't the first time he'd noticed. It was only a few attacks, only a few... It couldn't be him, he would know if he was brutally attacking people...wouldn't he? And besides, he'd definitely blacked out more than a few times, there'd be more if it was him...right?

The cold sweat forming on Forrest's brow trickled down the side of his face, snapping him out of it.

He looked around.

"...How did I get here?"