Chapter four

Previously

"That is what true strength feels like! Don't you want that! Don't you need it to battle the inevitable?"

"I-" before I could respond a name was imprinted in my brain. My mouth seemed to move on it's own as if I was being forced to speak the name.

"Am-Amb-"

Currently

A sudden slam snaps me back into reality. I'm back in the room.

"Wha-?" I stay frozen as my body begins to feel magic returning to me. I look around still almost paralyzed. Steve is by the book in the middle room and Cassandra is looking at him angrily with her hand on the book as if she just closed it.

"WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING!" She screams at Steve. The sudden loud noise makes my ears ring. Steve doesn't respond. Instead he stares into space with a dazed look in his eyes. Cassandra then looks at me and her face instantly softens and turns to worry. She walks over and brings me into a soft hug. My arms stay by my side as she pulls away. I feel so weak. Almost as if all my magic and strength have been taken from me. Even though I feel like I just died I still look around frantically to make sure everyone is alright. One by one I spot the others but only glazed eyes reach mine.

Even Douxie seems to be staring into space as he clutches what seems to be a pendant attached to a leather string. Before I could approach any of them a spell was cast that seemed to lift everyone into the air almost immediately I felt warm. I look over to Cass and see her hands glowing a familiar pink as she opens a magic door that leads to a common room. Gesturing towards the multiple soft looking couches as we were sat down gently. As we sunk into the comfy red couches, blankets were placed around us. I try to collect my thoughts but the only thing I can think about is how I failed Douxie. I'm so lost in thought I don't even realize Douxie is set down next to me. covered in blankets. Jim's voice soon cuts through the silence.

"What was that?" Jim's voice sounds raspy almost as if he'd been screaming. Cassandra sighs before she starts to explain.

"That book you opened is an old one... one before Merlin's and I's time." Cassandra rubs the back of her neck like she usually does when she's upset.

"The book isn't really a book, it's a cage that houses a great but terrible wizard. The book was passed down from my master to his master and so forth to guard it. It is said that whoever opens the book will be shown what the future holds, but in reality it's just a horrible lie that the wizard uses to trick a person into letting him free."

"Is the power he promises real?" Steve speaks as his eyes gleam with tears.

"NO!" Cassandra yells before realizing she was scaring him.

"No, it's a lie. It's all a lie." she started rubbing her neck once more.

"So, it's not real?" Claire speaks from beside Jim.

"No, its not real. It's a curse." What does she mean "a curse". Why is this the first time I've heard about this? Does she not trust me?

"You should all take it easy. When you're ready to retire Julia will show you where the bedrooms are."

"Wait, we can't stay the night. Mom will start to worry." Jim says while struggling to stand up.

"Oh, it seems I have forgotten to inform you about the time difference. 1 day here is an hour in your world. Plus I already sent that talkative friend of yours back to your world as a guard. He will be back in the morning for further planning. Now I should really take my leave. I have a lot of work to do, and a certain book I need to lock away once more." She talks in her always affirmative voice yet speaks the last part so quietly only I and probably Douxie hear it. Cassandra then gives me a kind look before leaving.

I look over to Douxie, my brows knit in the complexity of our situation. I can't look at any of them without the images of everyone lying dead in front of me. I seem to space out because Douxie's deep amber eyes stare with concern.

"Were alive love" he speaks with a soft tone almost as if he knows. My eyes start to tear up once more as I wrap him in a hug. I cling to him desperately as I cry. He holds me close and rubs my back whispering to me that everything is ok. He will never admit that this hug was just as comforting to him as it was to her. We stay like this for what seems like an eternity though it's only been half an hour. When we pull apart he looks deep into my eyes and gives a small but grateful smile. I can't help but smile back. Before we can continue to hug Jim clears his throat. Claire is asleep in one arm while Steve is crying into his other arm getting snot all over his sleeve.

"So where are these bedrooms again?"

"O-oh I can take you there," I stand up with Douxie as Jim shoves Steve off him and princess carries Claire who is still half asleep and clutching onto him.

"This way" I walk through the doors into a long hallway decorated with paintings of Cassandra's past adventures. When I reach a huge painting of Cass and I, I pull on the painting to reveal a door leading to the bedrooms.

"Boys on the right and Girls on the left." Jim simply nods and carries Claire to the girl's side before dropping her off in a bed and going to the boy's side. Steve also heads to the boys side after giving everyone a big and slobbery hug. Once they leave it's only Douxie and I left. Before I walk away he pulls me into one more hug and whispers into my ear.

"We are going to be ok," My face blushes as he pulls away and walks to a bedroom. I also tiredly walk to my old bedroom. When I reach my bed I immediately pass out not even realizing that I fell asleep on top of my familiar Savvy.

Author Note

We were listening to sad music all through this chapter.

-Myla

Sad songs go BRRRRRR

-Jean