Black Against White

The clicking of high heels on solid ground echoed through the narrow alleyway. Fumikage Tokoyami gritted his teeth as he tried to stand up, but his vision was blurry and his limbs ached after having been mercilessly thrown into the brick wall behind him. He couldn't muster up enough strength to rise.

"Dark Shadow", he croaked, voice hoarse. He despised how weak he must seem, and his confidence didn't improve by the small figure that appeared beside him. As his vision cleared, he looked into the black holes of Dark Shadow's head that parodied a set of eyes. They were tiny, and trembling.

"I-I can't do much, boss", the quirk spoke. "His light is too intense!"

As if encouraged by the weak quirk's words, the source of Tokoyami's misery stepped into view. The Shining Villain: Can't Stop Twinkling, was exceedingly bright, and Tokoyami had to shield his oversensitive eyes so as not to be temporarily blinded. His renaissance-inspired clothing seemed to be made of a luminous material which reflected all light with tenfold the strength, and after having figured out Dark Shadow was the biggest threat as of now, he sent out tiny rays of laser beams right beside the conscious quirk. Never once had the grin plastered on his face faltered, and he carried himself with a grace that would put even a professional ballet dancer to shame.

"Monsieur Tsukuyomi", he said in a rather pompous tone by drawing out the vowels. "It appears you've found yourself in a rather unsophisticated predicament." He did a little flourish, throwing back his long bangs in an overly dramatic gesture before adding; "I beg your pardon for my involvement in said matter."

Tokoyami glowered at the villain as he eyed him through his fingers. He could feel Dark Shadow shrinking in on themselves until they finally submitted to the light enough to return inside Tokoyami's body entirely. Now, he was alone against surely the brightest villain on Earth.

"It's unfortunate that I happened to be the one tasked with patrolling this particular area tonight. To any other hero, I find it hard to believe you'd be anything more than a low-to-medium threat."

While he'd recovered slightly from having been hit by a laser beam straight into the wall, the immense light radiating off the villain was stinging him, and it almost felt as if his energy was consumed from where the light hit his skin.

"Peut être", the Shining Villain drawled, and took a step closer. "Yet, is this not the only conflict that truly matters for you to win? The ever-adored dispute between the light and the dark?"

"Brightness has no chance to conquer the darkness", Tokoyami answered stoically. "No amount of light will ever wholly illuminate the abyssal shades of the night."

"Perhaps you are correct." Can't Stop Twinkling continued to approach him, his high-heels clicking ominously on the solid ground. Even his shoes seemed to shine as bright as the sun. "There will always be shadows looming in every corner, greedily waiting to set their claws in the light and drag them down into the depths of misery."

Tokoyami narrowed his eyes and finally withdrew the hand from his face. He felt Dark Shadow squirm within him, wordlessly expressing their unease at his lack of protection against the light. Of course, the hero knew that words were weapons as well as any, yet he could do little but indulge the villain's observations, and hoped he wasn't about to step into a carefully laid trap.

"It is not the darkness that is the villain", he spoke, and although Can't Stop Twinking's grin never faltered, a raised eyebrow came to accompany it. "Darkness in itself has never hurt a soul, yet it conceals the bad actions of others. The light doesn't bother to hide its evildoers, and offers no choice but to pry on their misdemeanour."

The grin on the villain's face seemed to grow, and through the blinding light, Tokoyami thought he saw a sparkle in that set of indigo eyes glistening at him.