the start of something new (requested)

You buried your face in your pillow as you finally got the chance to crawl into bed after your bad day.

You're exhausted and feeling anxious. You're worn out, both physically and mentally, and you want nothing more than to close your eyes and sleep for a month.

You felt overwhelmed and, in need of some comfort, you know exactly who to lean on.

You grabbed your phone and dialed your best friend's number, needing to hear her voice after your bad day as you hoped she'd help you believe in yourself again.

As soon as she picked up, you started to rant.

"Oh thank goodness you answered. I had the worst day. I'm so stressed and I'm exhausted. I need someone to talk to." You sniffled.

"Oh... uh, yeah, of course. Go oh ahead, talk away, I'll listen."

Her voice sounded a little different but you didn't think twice as you began to let all of your worries out.

"I'm so close to quitting my job. Everything's going wrong and I feel like my boss doesn't care that my coworkers are slacking off and making me do all of their work. I haven't slept in a day or two and the nights I do sleep, I never sleep long because I'm constantly stressed and I'm anxious and it feels like everything is going wrong and I don't know what to do."

"That's terrible. I'm sorry."

"Thank you. And thank you for letting me get that all off my chest."

"You're welcome. So, by the way, I guess this is  a good time to mention that I'm not exactly sure who you're trying to get ahold of, but I'm not them."

"Wait, what?"

"So sorry, but I think you have the wrong number. My name is Victoria."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! I didn't even let you speak, I just ranted away. I'm so embarrassed!" You sighed.

"No, no. Don't be! It's alright. I had nothing to do and I'm happy to listen."

"Thank you." You said as you smiled to yourself.

"So, I told you my name. What's yours?"

"Y/N,"

"Well, it's very nice to talk to you, y/n. I'm so sorry you had such a bad day. I truly hope tomorrow is a better one for you. The things happening to you suck and I'm sorry you're going through them. There are better things out there if this feels wrong. Follow your heart, do what's best for you."

"Thank you, Victoria. That means a lot to me."

"Of course. You've got a new friend now. Save my number in your contacts. If you have any more bad days, call me."

"What if I have a good day tomorrow?" You asked.

"Call me. Let me know. I'm rooting for you. I truly hope it's a much better one."

"Thank you and thanks for listening. It means a lot."

"Anytime. Maybe this is the start of something new. Why don't you call me tomorrow? Tell me about your day and let me know more about yourself. I'll do the same."

"Maybe so and I'd like that a lot." You said as you grinned from ear to ear. "Talk to you tomorrow, Victoria."

"Bye, y/n. Have a better day and get some sleep. You deserve it."

You ended the call and put your phone onto the bed beside you, feeling all of your worries disappear as you thought about the girl you just spoke to.

Maybe she's right.

Maybe this is the start of something new.