2: 03

VIENNA - THE UNITED NATIONS

A news anchor spoke. "At a special United Nations conference, 117 countries have come together to ratify the Sokovia Accords."

T'Challa, wearing a sharp suit, stood and looked through a glass wall.

"Excuse me, Miss Romanoff?" a UN staffer called.

"Yes?" Natasha asked.

"These need your signature." T'Challa looked over at Natasha. "Thank you."

"Thanks."

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight," T'Challa said.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering."

"You seem to be doing all right so far. Concerning your last trip to Capitol Hill... I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not."

"That alone makes me glad you're here, Miss Romanoff."

"Why? You don't approve of all this?"

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred."

"Unless you need to move a piano," King T'Chaka joked.

"Father."

"Son. Miss Romanoff."

"King T'Chaka," Natasha said. "Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria."

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

"Yes, so am I."

"If everyone could please be seated," a man on the speakers said. "This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling," T'Challa commented. "Such a pleasure."

"Thank you," Natasha said again before leaving.

"For a man who disapproves of diplomacy, you're getting quite good at it," King T'Chaka told his son.

"I'm happy, Father," T'Challa replied.

"Thank you."

"Thank you."

King T'Chaka addressed the crowd. "When stolen Wakandan Vibranium was used to make a terrible weapon, we in Wakanda were forced to question our legacy. Those men and women killed in Nigeria, were part of a goodwill mission from a country too long in the shadows. We will not, however, let misfortune drive us back. We will fight to improve the world we would wish to join. I am grateful to the Avengers for supporting this initiative." T'Challa spotted something outside. "Wakanda is proud to extend its hand in peace."

"Everybody get down!" T'Challa yelled.

An enormous explosion went off between two buildings and destroyed the conference hall. T'Challa found his father lying on the floor with his eyes closed. He grabbed his father's wrist and felt for a pulse, but his father laid still. Devastated, T'Challa laid across his father. He lifted him up and rocked him in his arms.

HOTEL

"My mom tried to talk me out of enlisting, but, um, not Aunt Peggy," Sharon said. "She bought me my first thigh holster."

"Very practical," Steve noted.

"And stylish." Sharon and Steve waited by an elevator. They stood facing each other.

"CIA has you stationed over here now?"

"In Berlin, Joint Terrorism Task Force."

"Right. Right. Sounds fun."

"I know, right?"

Steve nodded and smiled at Sharon. "I've been meaning to ask you. When you were spying on me from across the hall..."

"You mean when I was doing my job."

"Did Peggy know?"

"She kept so many secrets. I didn't want her to have one from you two." The elevator arrived. "Thanks for walking me back."

"Sure," Steve replied as Sam came over.

"Steve," Sam called. "There's something you gotta see."

News anchor #4 said, "A bomb hidden in a news van..."

"Who's coordinating?" Sharon asked.

"...ripped through the UN building in Vienna."

"Good. They're solid. Forensics?"

"More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as Flora Anne Stewart, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations."

"I have to go to work."

---

Fire crews hosed down the buildings. A red and white medical chopper flew overhead.

"Call MI-6, see if we can get Micro Forensics to hurry this up," Sharon ordered. "We need the whole team here in two hours or it's not worth it." Sharon strode through with a man in a green jumpsuit. They passed T'Challa who sat on a bench looking stunned. There was a cut on his head.

Natasha sat on the bench near him and said, "I'm very sorry."

T'Challa glanced at her. He was holding an ornate silver ring which he toyed between his fingers before saying, "In my culture, death is not the end. It's more of a... stepping-off point. You can reach out with both hands and Bast and Sekhmet, they lead you into the green veidt where... you can run forever."

"That sounds very peaceful."

"My father thought so." He put the ring on his finger. "I am not my father."

"T'Challa. Task force will decide who brings in Stewart."

T'Challa clenched his fist. "Don't bother, Miss Romanoff. I'll kill her myself." He walked away.

Steve called Natasha. He was standing on the street in a cap and dark glasses.

"Yeah?" Natasha asked.

"You all right?" Steve inquired.

"Ah, yeah, thanks. I got lucky." Frowning, she looked around, then stood. "I know how much Stewart means to you. I really do. Stay home. You'll only make this worse. For all of us. Please."

"Are you saying you'll arrest me?"

"No. Someone will. If you interfere. That's how it works now."

"If she's this far gone, Nat, I should be the one to bring her in."

"Why?"

"Because I'm the one least likely to die trying." Not far away, Steve ended the call.

"Shit."

---

Steve approached Sam sitting at the counter of a coffee shop.

"She tell you to stay out of it?" Sam asked, also in a cap and shades. "Might have a point."

"She'd do it for me," Steve reasoned.

"1945, maybe. I just want to make sure we considered all our options. The people that shoot at you usually wind up shooting at me."

Sharon arrived by Steve and said, "Tips have been pouring in since that footage went public. Everybody thinks the Winter Soldier goes to their gym. Most of it's noise. Except for this." She slid Steve a file. "My boss expects a briefing, pretty much now... so that's all the head start you're gonna get."

"Thank you," Steve replied.

"And you're gonna have to hurry. We have orders to shoot on sight."