Chapter 5-Inter High

Chapter 5-The Inter High

And finally, the journey of the Inter-High had begun. The Sohoku High School Bicycle Racing Club has reached Hakone, where 41st Summer Inter High is going to take place. The team was getting ready to reach the place where the competition was going to be held. Now they were in the inn where they would be staying for the next 2 days.

Mei and Miki were helping Teshima, Aoyagi, and Sugimoto sort out the luggage they are supposed to take to the race area while the 6 official members of the race were having a small meeting about the strategy. No matter how hard Teshima and Aoyagi tried to hide, they couldn't help but feel sad and frustrated. On the other hand, Sugimoto was the only first-year who was not selected, his feelings were the same as Teshima and Aoyagi because Onoda being a newbie to bicycle racing got a place in the inter-high team and him being an experienced racer was not able to get his place in the team.

But, all of them threw those negative feelings away to support their team so that their team would face no problems. They were determined to do their best for the team.

"Everything's done! Let's get on the bus. I will go call Kinjo-san and the others." Teshima told everyone and left to call the others.

Aoyagi and others took the luggage and placed it on the bus. In a few seconds, Kinjo-san and the others came along with Teshima. The ride to the venue was almost 15 minutes. Everyone was quiet, focusing on the race ahead. After reaching the venue, Mei and Miki along with Teshima completed the registration formalities whereas Aoyagi and Sugimoto along with the team went towards the tent they were assigned to.

Before 30 minutes of the race, there was a small 5 minutes opening ceremony where the champions of last year said a few words. Ever since Kinjo-san had told the team about last year's crash between him and Fukutomi Juichi, the team is burning with the fire to win the championship from the Hakone Academy. There was this weird man called Midousuji Akira who said some weird words.

The team was now standing on the start line, and the whistle blew, indicating that the race now starts. The support team gave their wishes to the team as they started the parade. In a few minutes, Teshima and the others returned to the tent to get the stuff they needed, and then they rode in Kanzaki-san's car.

They soon got the updates about the sprinting battle as they passed through Naruko and Tadokoro-san; the sprinter checkpoint was won by Sohoku. Both Teshima and Aoyagi congratulated Tadokoro-san for winning with teary eyes. Winning a checkpoint for the team, what a proud feeling it might be! Teshima wanted to feel it too.

The support team was now at the feed station waiting for their team to come. But what they came to know was Onoda was caught up in the wreck. They ran towards the place where the incident took place. When they reached Onoda was on his bicycle.

"Onoda!" Teshima ran towards him. "Are you okay?" he asked.

"Are you hurt badly?" Miki asked out of concern.

"I'm not that much hurt. But I am the last." He looked at Teshima and Aoyagi. "I was given a task by the captain but I got caught up in this wreck. Teshima-san, Aoyagi-san, there are almost 100 people in front of me. Will I be able to pass through them and catch up with our team?" he asked.

Teshima and Aoyagi just smiled looking at him. They realized that he hasn't given up yet.

"You can Onoda!" Teshima kept his hand on Onoda's shoulder. "Pass 100 people and catch up with the team. It's a task given to you!" Teshima gave his bicycle a strong push.

"Ganbare Onoda!" everyone motivated him as he showed them his high cadence.

'Go Onoda! I believe in you!' Teshima smiled looking at Onoda who soon disappeared around the corner.