(18) Reasons Why Piper's Mum Rocks

As usual Layla's dream were not very pleasant.

She dreamt of camp halfblood. More specifically, she was standing at the top of half blood hill looking down at camp half blood. It was nighttime and everyone  was singing at the Campfire. Everyone except her.

A few hours ago she had made her big desicion. She was going to leave camp for good.

For months she had been wondering if this was the right thing to do, thinking back and forth but never actually daring to take a step. However, just looking at the cabins that day made her change her mind. It made her realize that her life at camp was pointless.

It made her wonder why her godly parent hadn't claimed her yet. She knew that gods never interacted with mortals much and she respected that. She hadn't asked for any gifts or advice or even quests from her godly parent. She just wanted to be claimed so she could leave the packed Hermes cabin and live with her sibling.

But nobody ever claimed her. Her six years at camp had been a living hell for her, between the sons' of Hermes cruel pranks and her loneliness. It probably wasn't completely her godly parent's fault but she was human and, like everybody, she needed someone to blame. She was sure she was going to regret it later but she needed revenge. She took a deep breath, turned around and started walking toward the dock were Princess Andromeda was without looking back.

"Mother." She was woken up by Piper's loud complaints.

"What's going on? Who do we fight?" She said quickly jumping for her feet. Once she realized that there was no potential threat so she sat back down.

They were at a small Cafe. The weather outside was warn and sunny despite being December. Layla had only visited one place in her life that the weather was like that. California. Gods know how they got there.

"What are you wearing?" Jason asked Piper. Piper's clothes had changed, they were fancier and cleaner, as were her hair. She also had makeup like she had at camp a few days ago. This must've been her mother's job.

Looking at her clothes Layla noticed that Afrodite took good care of her, too. Of course, she wasn't as beautiful as Piper but she was still really good. She was wearing a pair of jeans, a white cropped top and black combat boots. She still had her Black jacket with her coin and the photo Aeolus gave her in its pocket. Her blond hair were braided. Checking her reflexion in the glass door of the Cafe, she was realived to realize that unlike Piper she wasn't wearing any makeup.

Leo was dressed up, too. His included pinstriped trousers, a white colarless shirt, black leather boots and his tool belt. That combination Layla found hilarious. Jason, however, was the same as before. Perhaps, Afrodite had decided he didn't need improvement.

"How did we get here?" She asked.

"I must've been Mellie." Jason said. "Those winds shot us halfway across the country. We would've been smashed flat on impact, but Mellie's last gift- a nice soft breeze- cushioned out fall."

"And she got fired for us," Leo said. "Man, we suck." Layla shook her head in agreement.

"Anyone else want coffee?" Piper asked them.

"Sure." Jason said. "But money? Our packs?"

Their packs were on their feet and everything was inside. Afrodite must've helped with that, as well.

Leo whistled as Piper brought out some money. "Allowance? Piper, you mom rocks!"

They called the waitress to order and ask a few questions. According to her it was 9 am 21 of December, the day of winter solstice. That could only mean one thing. They had to get going soon.

Finding Mount Diablo wasn't hard. They could see it in the horizon. It wasn't large nor was it covered in snow. It actually seemed pretty peaceful. Alas, appearance could be deceptive.

From the corner of her eye Layla saw Leo pulling something from his pocket. It was the drawing Aeolus had gave him.

"You did tell us about that?" Piper asked.

"It's nothing." Leo said and put it back in his pocket. "You don't want to see my kindergarten artwork."

"It's more than that." Layla argued. "If Aeolus was right and this is in fact the key to out success, you better start explaining."

"No, not today." Leo shook his head. "He was talking about... later."

"How can you be so sure?" Piper asked.

"Trust me. I know it." Leo said. "For now, what's our game plan?"

"Climb the mountain, kill everything except Piper's dad. Leave, preferably before dinnertime." Layla offered.

"Thank you, General Eisenhower." Jason grumbled.

"What? You asked for a plan. And I don't even know who this guy is." Layla said.

"Guys," Piper said. "There's more you need to know. I think I found out who our real enemy is here."

She told them the theory she had based on what her mother had told her in a dream. It actually made sence. A deity more ancient and powerful then gods, that was half asleep and her voice could influence Gods. Gaia. The mother of all giants, Cyclops and Titans. The queen of earth.

Leo shook his head. "Isn't she the Mother Nature? She's supposed to have, like, flowers in her hair and birds singing around her and deer and rabbits doing her laundry."

"Leo, that's Snow White." Piper interffered.

"Okay, but-"

"Hey, listen. If Piper's right, we are in serious trouble. Gaia is no softie. She and her old man the sky, they were really nasty." Layla said

"Ouranos." Piper said looking at the sky.

"Right," Layla continued. "So Ouranos, he wasn't the best dad. He threw his first kids, the Cyclops, into Tartarus. That make Gaia mad, but she let it slide. Then they have another set of kids- the twelve titans- and Gaia was afraid they'll get thrown into prison like the Cyclops. So she goes to her son Kronos-"

"The big bad dude." Leo interrupted. "The one you defeated last summer."

"Yes him. And Gaia's the one who gives him the scythe, and tells him, 'Hey, why don't I call your dad down here? And while he's talking to me, distracted, you cut him to pieces. The you can take over the world. Wouldn't that be nice?'"

"Definitely not Snow White." Leo whistled.

"Point is, Kronos was a bad guy. But Gaia is literally the mother of all bad guys. She's so old and powerful, so huge, that it's hard for her to be fully conscious. Most of the time, she sleeps, and that's the way we prefer her- snoring."

"But she talked to me," Leo said. "How can she be asleep?"

"Even in her sleep, part of her consciousness is active- dreaming, keeping watch, doing little things like causing volcanos to explode and monsters to rise. Even now, she's not fully awake. Believe me, you didn't want to see her fully awake." 

"But she's getting more powerful," Piper added. "She's causing the giants to rise. And if their king comes back- this guy Porphyrion-"

"He'll raise an army to destroy the gods," Jason said. "Starting with Hera. It'll be another war. And Gaia will wake up fully."

"Which is why it's a good idea for us to stay off the ground as much as possible. Remember what our prophecy said: Children of lightning beware the earth." Layla added.

"So... climbing a mountain that would be bad." Leo looked at Mount Diablo.

"Guys, I can't ask you to do this," Piper said. "This is too dangerous."

"Are you kidding? We won't let your dad die." Layla said.

"Yeah." Leo said with a little more excitement than necessary. "Who's ready to beat that giant up?"