00

Alicia Lantsov was 2 years old when she spoke her first word

"Why?"

It was spoken softly, with a tilt of her head and a year later than her parent's would've liked. Nikolai - having been the only person to witness the event - had immediately began parading her around the castle, self proclaiming himself as the favourite brother.

Why

Soon enough it filled the silence of every conversation. It didn't matter if there was nothing to question, for Alicia always found a way.

"Alicia, go put your toys away." Why?

"Alicia, come inside." Why?

"Eat your vegetables Alicia." Why?

"Alicia, say goodbye to your brother."

Why?

Alicia Lantsov was 6 years old when her brother - Nikolai - left to study ships.

Not that she remembered his departure. Her mind remained far away, on a fluffy white rabbit she had seen earlier in the gardens. Nothing peculiar about the simplistic creature, yet it was enough for Alicia to miss the farewell in her brother's words.

In fact, Alicia barely remembered her brother at all. The memory of him easily slipping between her open hands. Eventually, only his face remained due to the ridiculously regal portraits hung around the Grand Palace.

Alicia Lantsov was 7 years old when she fell down the rabbit hole.

Hours had passed when she finally returned, her body decorated in purple, red, and blue.

No one had payed attention to the dimming of her eyes, her constantly wondering attention. For whilst her body returned, her mind did not.

She was split into two, Princess Alicia Lantsov and Alice: the Human.

Alicia Lantsov was 7 years old when she first heard the whispers.

She heard it in the palace servants. Alicia: the girl who always had her head up in the stars. Eyes followed her as she skipped through the halls and hummed unfamiliar tunes.

She heard it in herself. Beneath her breath as her mouth ran faster than her mind could handle. Tales of cats speaking in riddles and white rabbits that never seemed to be on time.

She heard it in them. When she was alone. When there was not a soul to witness her descent into what felt like insanity. They would itch at her mind, claw her scarred body for her to return to the Land of Wonder. The Land of Madness.

Alicia Lantsov was 9 years old when she finally succumbed to the whispers and returned to the Land of Wonder.

There was no regret until she had come back to the safety of her bedroom. This time they did not whisper, they screamed.

So she returned again.

and again

and again.

She did not know when the two worlds began to melt together, but all of a sudden Alice and Alicia were one. Dinner time with her family felt like tea time with the Mad Hatter. Reading with her mother became spouting nonsense with the hair. Running in the Grand Palace's gardens twisted into fleeing from the Queen of Hearts once more.

Stories of the generals and noblemen offering help in their armies became boring and repetitive, for Alice was a hero of her own story. A sword wielding hero that could take down dragons and escape cold and dungy prisons.

Alice Lantsov was 12 years old when the Sun Summoner was found.

She didn't remember what she looked like, nor her name.

But she remembered how they roared.

The Sun Summoner will destroy us all. 

WARNING: THIS BOOK CONTAINS DESCRIPTIONS OF MENTAL ILLNESSES, SEVERE INJURIES, WAR AND OTHER SENSITIVE TOPICS. IF YOU ARE EASILY TRIGGERED PLEASE DON'T READ THIS BOOK :)

There will be a lot of Alice in Wonderland references, just to look out for.