03

The Queen, as usual, was surrounded by her servants as she laid gracefully across the golden couch

The Queen, as usual, was surrounded by her servants as she laid gracefully across the golden couch. They fawned over her with giggles and compliments. Her Lady in Waiting in particular would whisper of the castle gossip right into the Queen's ear.

Alice shuffled into the room and closed the door softly behind her. Some of the servants glanced at her, but otherwise no one took any notice. Rocking back and forth on her feet, Alice cleared her throat.

"Ah, Alicia. There you are," The Queen paused, a horrified look overcoming her face. Immediately, she stood. She waved her arms to dismiss her attendees as she shot towards her daughter. They filed out quickly, not keen to see the wrath of the Queen.

"Your dress," Tatiana cried out, grabbing the fabric. Her hands then took hold of her wrists, revealing her gloved hands "What did you do to your gloves?"

"Hey! Hands off!"

Alice tensed under the touch of her mother, pulling her wrists back. She opened her mouth to respond, only to be stopped by a startling gasp.

"And your shoes, where are your shoes!" The poor woman looked close to tears at this point.

"Well I find that lack of shoes have much more comfort."

"Quieter too."

"Have you been walking around like this? Did anyone see you?" She fired question after question.

"I just went to the library." Alice thought it be best that she didn't mention the Sun Summoner. Or the running. Or the Little Palace. Especially the Little Palace.

"Honestly, you should take more care," Tatiana sighed, moving back towards her white couch in what could only be described as melodramatic "What would your father think of this behaviour?"

"It wasn't on purpose!" She insisted with a huff. The princess could not care less what her father thought in that moment. Her tattered dress swished around as she moved, almost in agreement.

"You are a lady!" The Queen looked her up and down "Or at least, you will be."

There was a long tense silence, where Alice glared at the ground. Had she been in Wonderland, her 'behaviour' would have been applauded, expected even.

"Then come back."

They whispered in unison, as if they morphed into one giant hive mind. Their icy voiced overlapped each other, a shiver rippling through Alice's spine.

The youngest Lantsov shifted on her feet, glancing up to make eye contact with her mother.

"I will not see this sort of attitude during the Winter Fete."

Alice Alice felt some sort of irrational anger wash over her. A need to spit and argue about her so called 'attitude'.

"Do you hear me?"