02

A laugh filled with pure glee passed through Alice's lips as she sprinted across the grass between the two palace's

A laugh filled with pure glee passed through Alice's lips as she sprinted across the grass between the two palace's. She moved quickly, her bare feet almost floating above the ground as she ran. Every few moments she would glance behind her to see if any of the guards that were supposed to be watching her had followed. When she will eventually return, her mother will talk her ear off. But for now, Alice revelled in the false sense of freedom.

As soon as she made it to the Little Palace, she stopped. The princess placed her hand onto the wall to support herself whilst she tried to catch her breath.

"Why stop now?"

"To the fold!"

"Or to Underland."

"To Underland!"

"Not now," Alice whispered under her breath, quieting them down.

She snuck in through one of the side doors. Though, she wasn't too bothered about being caught as this wasn't her first time escaping the the guards and fleeing towards the Little Palace.

A shiver ran up her body as Alice's bare feet made contact with the marble floors. Shoes had not been on the front of her mind when leaving. They were too loud anyway.

The castle was mostly empty as the Grisha (apart from the Fabrikators) were training. When she had been much younger, Alice used to enjoy watching them train. Either from the shadows of the roofs or behind a window, little Alice would get mesmerised with their movements. She called it a dance and she would practice this dance in her bedroom in the late hours past her bedtime. It often resulted in a few too many bruises that she had difficulty explaining to her mother.

The Library in the Little Palace was surprisingly a place Alice visited often considering her dislike of most books that didn't have pictures. The one in the Grand Palace made it far to easy for her mother or Vasily to find her. It was also a quiet place that was nice to escape to every now and again.

She immediately ventured the corner of the library, where a desk was placed. Her desk.

The wood was flawed with scratches, discolouration and indents. Most were caused by falling books or spilling liquids. Though, every once in a while Alice would accidentally slam a limb against one of the edges.

There was a singular lamp pushed to the back of the desk. It wasn't the greatest, but it had been gifted to her by one of her friends and it provided enough light for Alice do as she pleased.

Once seated, Alice began taking out all of her supplies from her pocket. The thin dress hadn't been the most convenient for the colder day but it had large pockets and a bag would've ruined the inconspicuousness that Alice was going for.

Her main item was a pocket watch alongside multiple small tools such as a magnifying glass, scissors and a hammer that was the size of her index finger. She had also been sure to stuff some soap and multiple small towels.