Healing

_________________________________________________________

Ley's POV:

Today I'm going to check if I was picked for grudgby. Hopefully at least, considering all that studying I did.

I put on my jacket, brushing my hair as I grabbed my stuff and left the house. I entered hexside to see the students all in a crowd. I walked up, and noticed a paper hung on the wall, reading the chosen students for the grudgby game. I walked closer, searching for mine or Melanie's name.

I skipped through names I was unfamiliar with, finally reading off my name, and Melanie's two rows underneath. Wow, I could actually have a chance to get my own palisman? 

I walked away, looking for Melanie so I could celebrate the news with her. I couldn't see her around, so I stopped looking. I headed to class early.

_________________________________________________________

Melanie's POV:

My alarm didn't wake me up, causing me to be late for school. Hopefully mom and dad have already left. If they caught me home right now, I don't think it would end too well for me. I got dressed, grabbing my things as I quietly opened my door.

I peeked around the corner, seeing nobody. I grabbed a jacket, leaving.

When I got there, nobody was in the hallways, meaning I was pretty late. I noticed the flier for grudgby, nearly forgetting. I walked towards it, reading it off. I saw Ley's name and mine, as I silently celebrated.

I walked to class, entering quietly. Ley was there, obviously. I haven't really noticed her appearance until now. Her dark red wavy hair framed her face perfectly, and her horns are growing in. I always wanted horns, but they suit her. Her eyes were so cool, they were white. White eyes are pretty rare. I didn't understand how she wasn't popular or something. She has so much potential. She was sketching something I recognized, and I realized it was from my favorite show. I really wanted to say something about it, but I was too scared. I sat down next to her, as she smiled at me, whispering in my ear.

' We're in!

I smiled back, nodding my head as I put my attention to the teacher. I smiled. That put me in a good mood.

I waited for lunch to start so I could go and sit on the bleachers by myself.

The break started, and I walked out to the bleachers. I lied down, staring at the sky. 

_________________________________________________________

Fast forwarding (next day)

Ley's POV:

Today is the big day. Not sure if I'm ready or not. 

I got ready, grabbing a snack as I left. I thought if I could do this.

I can't without magic, I'll never even pull it off. What will I do anyway.. better yet, what do I do about my powers? I need to do this. Staffs are the only thing I can use to maneuver without my magic. 

_________________________________________________________

Ley's POV:

Since my stomach is finally healed, I shouldn't really have much of a problem with getting hurt on the field. I'm just using that as an excuse to feel better. All I can really think about is Melanie though. I think she's actually my friend now. That sounds so weird to say though. I don't know but, maybe I won't be lonely anymore.

I saw Melanie, and caught up with her. 

" Hi!! " I smiled, and she kinda gave a smile back, she was so pretty though. Kinda made me insecure but at the same time, I don't really think that way of myself. 

I was listening to my favorite song, " Outrunning karma. " 

I felt like it represented her in a way. But it's just a good song really. I started talking to her. 

" You ready for later? "

She smiled again " Ready as I'll ever be. You? "

" Well kinda, not really but I'll still try. " She bit her lip, looking over at me.

" Ley, I kinda read your diary a little bit..but hey, I liked your drawings. " 

She seemed sad. I tried to sound understanding. " Oh? Uh, thanks. I kinda don't really care, you're fine "

She looked at me with a worried-ish look. " Really? I'm sorry for invading your privacy. But- you actually think I'm pretty? "

My face flushed red, as I forgot I wrote that part. I tried to act quick. " I uh, you didn't know that already? "

_________________________________________________________

Melanie's POV:

Admitting now that may have boosted my ego a little.

" I just- Well, we're here. " I stammered, and ran into the bathroom. Ley continued to class. I took my mind off of it, and thought about  the grudgby game. I was glad that I didn't really have any nerves.

_________________________________________________________

Fast forwarding (grudgby game)

 Ley's POV:

Everyone had started going onto the field. I was kinda pumped, even if I lost.

I practiced the positions and important stuff like that before the game started. We got in position, and I was standing right next to Melanie. That was all the comfort I needed. She seemed extremely focused.

The round started, and it instantly became heated. Melanie was doing well already. She had the ball, and sprinted to the goal. She got the first goal, which gave me hope. 

" At least try if you get selected though "

Those words replayed in my head. 

Melanie scored at least two more goals and I tried to go for it. I stole the ball from the person that had it, and ran towards the goal as fast as I really could. I almost tripped but, thankfully didn't. I chucked the ball towards the goal and it SOMEHOW made it in. That was my first and I was pretty sure last goal, but it was just getting started. That gave me so much adrenaline that I felt like I could take out 4 people at once. Melanie scored again, and so far was in second place. We continued rooting for each other. 

I felt I could score again. I wasn't sure, though. I was already in 3rd place, right behind Melanie.

I got the ball, I don't really remember how. I just started running. I couldn't go very fast anymore, and I slowed down. 

I couldn't run anymore, so I tried to make it less obvious I was trying to give the ball to Melanie. She got the ball, and scored again. She was now in first place, and the time was nearly over. I was so relieved, but didn't wanna give up just yet. I scored again, and Melanie stopped trying to score so I could win. That worried me.

Now the pressure  was all on me. I was in second place as I scored again, but I started losing my balance. People scoring in between me were so competitive it was scary. I couldn't run anymore, and I motioned for Melanie to continue. I let her win. 

The time was up, and she remained in first place. She won. 

_________________________________________________________