I needed you today

You woke up from surgery feeling a slight amount of pain. Not as bad as yesterday but the pain was definitely still there.

"Hello my lovely, it's great to see that you're awake! How are you feeling?" A nurse came in and stated cheerfully "I feel like I was hit by a bus, what meds am I on?" You say knowing the dangers of being on opioids after being a serious addict.

"Don't worry sweetie, there are no opioids in your system. Do you think you are up for some visitors?" You were relieved you didn't have to fight off the opioids. You didn't even think you would have visitors but you simply nodded, hoping that Aaron would be with the visitors.

The team walked into your room wheeling Spencer in on a wheelchair. They had obviously checked him into the hospital to get checked over while you were in surgery

"You know if you didn't want to look after me that bad all you had to do was say something Al" Spencer says laughing with you. "Guys how is Aaron." You say being met with looks of pity.

"He never made it off the table" JJ says. "We are so sorry Alex" you couldn't comprehend the words coming out of her mouth. She couldn't be telling the truth. There was no way.

You were discharged from hospital that day. Emily decided to take you home. Walking through the door you were hit with a thousand memories. Knocking you to the ground with sorrow. You were heartbroken

Emily stayed with you for a few days while you got back on your feet. You joked that she was only there so you didn't drink yourself into a grave or start injecting some strange substances into your body but she reassured you that she actually wanted to be at home with you (only as long as she could bring her cat Sergio but you didn't mind because cats are your favourite)

- 1 month time jump -

You woke up with a missed phone call from an unknown government number so you decided to call them back.

"Hello, Agent Erin Strauss"  the woman replied on the other end of the phone
"Good morning Agent Strauss, I'm so sorry I missed your call. This is Dr. Alexandria Reid"
"Oh Dr. Reid, I was calling to offer you the role of unit chief at the BAU. You should be aware that your team has now been permanently terminated from Interpol" - you didn't need reminding...
"Can I give this a few days, Strauss. I will need to have a look at what the job involves first. I will have an answer for you tomorrow"
"That is okay Alexandria, take as much time as you need, bye now"

"Good morning Alex!" Emily was making breakfast for the both of you. "Who was on the phone?"

"Section Chief Strauss" you say as Emily gives you a glare "she was offering me the role of unit chief at the BAU..." you say wanting to see Emily's reaction. "Okay well you have to take it Alex, this is amazing!" She said proudly

"But don't you think that Spence might think I'm trying to be around him too much" you say. "Alex, if you don't take this job I will become an unsub and murder you myself. Got it ?" It always worried you when she said things like that. Sometimes you couldn't tell if she was joking.

"Hey why don't you come with me to work and you can speak with Strauss face to face" you didn't think it was a bad idea so you went upstairs to your bedroom and got changed.

You stopped to get coffee before getting to headquarters. You remembered the first time you saw Aaron here. It felt like years ago. You gave Spencer a cup of coffee before saying good morning to the team. "You got a date with a hot man sunshine?" Derek asked trying to keep the team's spirits high. "Yeah if you call Strauss a hot man" Emily said fanning her face

"Emily!" You shrieked "I'm just going for a meeting, I will be back when I am finished. Bye team!" You said before quickly leaving

You got on the elevator and headed to the floor Strauss's office was on then knocked on her door.
"Come in" she said "oh Dr. Reid, nice to see you again" she said extending a hand "I will take the job"
You were taken aback by how forward you were.
"You will? Okay can you start tomorrow?" You were extremely excited. "Ma'am I would start today if you let me" you said.. you maybe came across too eager. "Okay, follow me then" she accepted your offer? Whaaaaat?!?!

"Team meet your new unit chief, Dr.Alexandria Reid. Treat her nicely please" Strauss motioned over to you before walking you up to Aaron's - your office.
It was all so much for you. "I will get you a name tag for your desk and someone will come and paint the door with your name. Here is the paperwork I need from you, have a good day" she said quickly before leaving.

It was all so strange ... it was all yours

"When Aaron said you were boss material this is not what I thought he meant, amore" Dave was walking over to your desk with a small box in his hand.

You felt tears flood to your eyes as he passed you the box. It was a framed picture of you and Aaron sat next to each other at the bar the night you met him. "You knew?" "What about the new job or that you were Reid's sister? Because I knew both" you kept your eyes glued to the picture frame in your hand. It had the words amore mio engraved into it. "Thank you Dave, it means a lot" you say "do you want to come with me to the round table room?"

"Guys can we just have a chat in the round table room?" You say looking out over the bullpen. "Has anyone told Garcia?" You look at Derek in particular but he shakes his head. "Go get her please? Thank you morgan"

After everyone took their seats you were left to explain why you were there and why you hadn't told anyone. "So I'm sure you're all expecting an explanation from me, I was asked about this job this morning. I spoke to Emily who said it would be better if you all knew who was coming in to run the team so I accepted . I know you all loved agent hotchner as unit chief and I know I will never be able to replace him. He was great and I would love it for you guys to treat me the same way you treated him. That is all thank you very much"

"I also plan on keeping tabs on the George Foyet case as well as working in new cases" you say calling out to the bullpen before sitting back down at your desk.

You got a few files of paperwork don't before you heard a knock at the door. "Come in"

"Dr. Reid, we have a case"