Chapter Five <3

The movie as it turned out was amazing.

Penny was buzzing as they walked out of the cinema. "That was actually fucking brilliant."

"You're sadistic." Adam said, looking awfully peaky as he threw a glare at Penny.

"What did you guys think?" She asked, turning her imploring eyes to the pair walking next to them.

Cute coffee shop guy gave Penny a slightly unsure smile. "It was...good?" He tried.

"I think you burst one of my eardrums in there with all your screaming." Mia teased, rubbing her ear for dramatic emphasis.

He knocked an elbow into his friend's side with a quick glare.

"What did you think, Mia?" Adam asked. "Everything you were hoping for?"

Mia looked surprised at being addressed. She opened her mouth and closed it again a couple of times like a fish, before settling on saying; "it was good."

"Amazing." Penny corrected her, earning a small smile and an eye roll.

"Amazing." She agreed.

Cute coffee shop guy also smiled, and Penny thought that her heart might burst.

It was going more perfectly than she could have ever realistically hoped for before this.

She didn't want this day to ever end.

"Did you guys want to get some food?" Adam asked as if reading her mind. "Pen and I usually get burgers after a movie."

Cute coffee shop guy and Mia shared a look, and Penny begged them desperately in her mind to say yes.

"I could go for burgers." Cute coffee shop guy said first.

*

Adam and Cute Coffee Shop Guy ended up going to the counter to order food leaving Penny and Mia in charge of finding seats.

They were just about to snag one set when it was intercepted by a lanky boy looking to be in his late teens.

Penny's annoyance flared when he caught their eyes and smirked smugly. He definitely knew.

"Oh sorry," he said sounding very much unapologetic. "Did you want this seat?"

Penny's mouth automatically moved into a forced smile. "S'fine."

"Tell you what," he said with a smile on his face that sent soft prickles of discomfort rolling through Penny's body. "Give me your number and I'll give you the table."

Penny laughed, because that had to be a joke.

Mia, however, definitely wasn't laughing. There was a glare on her face that said she was having absolutely none of his bullshit. Penny jolted in surprise when Mia's hand gently landed on her elbow.

"Come on. Let's go."

Penny was letting herself be steered away when the idiot opened his mouth again.

"Hey! Don't be jealous of your friend." He called after Mia. "You might actually be pretty too if you smiled."

That's when Penny's string of self control snapped in two. Maybe it was the words, or maybe it was the way Mia's grip tightened on her elbow upon hearing them. All Penny knew as she whirled back on him, face pulled into the meanest sneer she could muster, was that she was pissed off.

"Shut up dickshit. What the fuck would you know about being pretty?"

It wasn't Penny's smartest comeback. She knew that about herself. She'd probably think of at least ten different witty things she could have said just about his stupid pencil moustache alone.