Chapter One <3

Part One:

            "What are you moping about?" Madison asked as she parked her arse on to the vacant seat by Penny's side.

            Penny made a sound that resembled that of a dying walrus. "Not moping. I'm reflecting-" albeit face down on the table- "on all the bad decisions that have lead me here."

            Madison's eye roll was practically audible. "So a typical Monday for you."

            "Fuck off."

            "Hey what's the answer to number fifteen?" Adam spoke up taking his nose out of his crossword that he was working on.

             Madison leant across her 'contemplative' friend to look at the question Adam was pointing to. "Empathy." She answered after squinting at the question for a while.

            "Thanks." Adam said going straight back to having his nose buried in his crossword book.

            "So what happened today?" Madison asked, turning her attention back to Penny.

            Penny lifted up her head and let out an unintelligible mumble.

            "What?"

            Penny let out a strained sigh before speaking up more clearly. "I stole cute-guy-from-the-coffee-shop's phone." She admitted begrudgingly.

            Adam finally stopped paying attention to the crossword before him, only to laugh. Loudly.

            Penny glared at him.

            Madison was just blinking periodically. "I don't... why?" She asked exasperatedly.

            "I thought it would make a good meet cute. You know, a 'haha aren't I so silly' kind of thing." Penny defended herself.

            "Theft. You thought theft would be a good meet cute?"

            "Yeah. I noticed my mistake hence my reflection. I'm reflecting remember?"

            Adam started laughing even harder.

            Penny kicked him under the table.

            "It's not funny." She bemoans. "It tried handing it to the barista when I realised what I'd done, and he was like 'do you think I remember every person who comes in here? Give it back to him yourself.' Worst. Employee. Ever. Don't they have a lost and found for this sort of reason? Plus the phone won't stop freaking ringing." She fished in her pocket producing an old version of the iPhone, with a rather obvious cracks down it, being held together only by sellotape. It clattered to the table obnoxiously. An impressive number of 29 missed calls lit up the screen.

            "Have you thought about answering and saying 'hey I found this phone at a coffee shop'." Adam suggested.

            Penny wrapped her hands around her face. "You know how bad I am at lying. They would get the truth out of me in no time. I would end up looking like a stalker."

            "I mean technically..."

            Penny glared harshly at Madison. "What if they turned me into the cops? Can I go to prison over this? I'm too pretty for prison Madi. Fuck. I just wanted a reason to talk to the ridiculously cute guy at the coffee shop."

            "You really need to stop reading those wattpad romance fics." Madison said shaking her head.

            "Hey. There's no need to make this personal." Penny said reeling away slightly.