Out Of Control

True to her word, Lilliana wasted no time explaining her plan to the soldiers once they reached Merceus.

"Me?" Dimitri cried. "I go with you and the children? What about Webbs? Or Barrett? They're much more suited to it and I—"

Lilliana stomped on his toes. "Guess what, Your Highness." She leaned in while he grimaced at the pain. "You look like me."

His face contorted with confusion. "I— I what? I do not! For one thing, I'm a man, Miss von Elway, I thought at least that wouldn't escape you. There's no..." Realization dawned in his eyes. "No. You can't possibly be making me to... to..."

She rolled her eyes. "No, no, nothing like that," she waved her hand irritably. "You're not going to double as me. You're going to act like my brother."

Dimitri crossed his arms and turned away stubbornly. "I won't be doing that. That's ridiculous; what do you even hope to accomplish?"

Lilliana took a deep breath before sitting down on a tree stump. "Now, Dimitri, it might take a few tries to get this through that stupidly thick head of yours, but I'd like you to listen," she began, clasping her hands together in her lap. The prince glared at her but she continued. "You, me, and the children are going to walk into town. You are going to pretend to be my big brother. I am going to go around, find a boy who works with the resistance efforts, and convince him to take us for a little ride along with his supplies. The convincing could take a moment depending on the boy, but I want you there to protect the children and make sure I don't get... distracted, I suppose is the word."

He grumbled something to himself before looking at her and snapping, "That's a terrible plan. Not only are we leaving the rest of the men wandering around the square wondering how to get to our rendezvous point, the entire plan hinges on whether you can or can't... seduce whatever resistance man you find!"

Lilliana stood, her patience gone. "I'll have you know I'm quite good at it, prince. If you want to be the one walking around aimlessly for a few hours wasting precious time, be my guest. In fact, why don't you just haul all of us in there and shout, 'I am the Crown Prince of Faerghus that has escaped Imperial dungeons and I would like to recapture my country, but first I must drag my captives to an uninhabited castle and await ransom!' I figure it'll be just your style."

He scoffed. "Since when were you a tactician, von Elway? I'd greatly appreciate your strategic methods on how to shine my boots. Your plans are absolutely sublime!" Dimitri hissed sarcastically. "This is a horrid plan of action and until we come up with something else, I suggest you leave this meeting to the real adults of the group and play with those children you seem to love so much."

"Oh, your manners are utterly delightful, Highness," Lilliana gave a mock bow. "One day maybe you can teach me how to be so absolutely dense and I'll be the next Queen of Faerghus!"

"Be quiet, you miserable wretch!" Dimitri barked. "Do not speak to me of the Faerghus royalty. You know nothing of it and you couldn't be bothered to care a mite of the country anyway! You're better off sitting silently on the ground waiting for the next pack of wolves to come and rip—"

"Enough!" Webbs shouted. "Quiet, the both of you. We won't decide on any plan if our meeting consists of you two screaming your heads off!" He inhaled slowly, calming himself. "I've decided that you, Lilliana, and you, Dimitri, will not be a part of these discussions from now until you learn that holding your tongues and listening are some of the most prized virtues."

Dimitri gritted his teeth. It seemed as though he was about to yell something else, but at last he turned away and stalked angrily into the forest, punching a tree with a loud snarl.