Destination

The wagon jerked to a stop.

"That's about as far as I can take you," Dimitri overheard Ambrose say to Lilliana. "I want to help you out more, but I need to get home to Mother."

"I understand." Lilliana said dejectedly. "I'll... I'll go help the children out."

Dimitri was already ahead of her, rounding up the kids on their late afternoon high and guiding them off the wagon. Faye ran over to beg for a lift into her big sister's arms.

The prince couldn't help but sneer at the false expression of disheartenment on Lilliana's face. "Say goodbye," he hissed to her as he walked by herding the children to the other side of the path.

"I will," she grunted back as Ambrose came towards them.

He wrapped an arm around her waist and gazed into her eyes upon reaching her. "I'm sorry to see you go," Ambrose said softly, stroking her cheek with his thumb. "Tell me, when will I see you again?"

"I don't know," Lilliana leaned her forehead against his and closed her eyes. "I want to stay so badly, but..."

His frown deepened before he kissed her lips gently. "It will be all right. I'll... I'll hold you in my heart until we meet once more."

Dimitri cringed deep in his gut, pretending not to notice as she reciprocated passionately and clutched Ambrose's jacket.

"Then just let me have my moment before we part," Lilliana breathed, pulling him closer for another intense kiss.

Faye, who had been passed to Dimitri, looked up at the prince and made a disgusted face. Suppressing his urge to laugh, he turned to place her with the other children.

Then he walked up to the couple locking lips fervently and set his hands on Lilliana's shoulders. She opened her eyes when she felt his touch but still failed to prepare for his aggressive yank backwards. Ambrose likewise assumed an expression of surprise.

"Alexandre!" Lilliana pushed his hand away and crossed her arms. "You had no right to—"

Dimitri shoved her back again and stood between her and their smuggler. "Never touch my sister like that again, do you understand?" He straightened to his full height and tried his best to look intimidating.

It seemed to work. Ambrose, though quite miffed at the intervention, stepped back. "A-ah.. yes. Yes, Colette, it would be best if you two were on your way."

She sighed. "I suppose you're right. But... don't forget about me, okay?"

Ambrose gave her another sappy sad smile. "How could I ever forget you?"

"This is much too dramatic for my liking," Dimitri declared. "We thank you and your mother for your assistance, but it is time for you to get going."

"You're ruining the moment," Lilliana hissed not-so-subtly. "Just let us have a few seconds to ourselves, okay?"

He snorted. "You've had hours to yourselves, if I happen to remember correctly. We should be off, and not waste any further time."

Ambrose twitched his mouth. "Of course. Fare thee well, Colette; fare thee well, Alexandre."

Dimitri dipped his head. "You as well."

With that, Ambrose dragged his feet slightly on his way to the wagon. He gave a single glance back as he hopped into the front seat, but snapped the reigns and urged the horse forward.

Lilliana watched him leave with a semi-neutral expression. "I'm glad that's been taken care of," she said quietly.

Dimitri nodded again. "Yes. Now," he gave her a glance. "Come. We are close to the castle."