Chapter Four

Shar

Flora had finally fallen asleep, having cried in my arms until it seemed she had no more tears left. Although she now slept, I still stroked her soft head gently, grateful that I had been able to comfort her in her time of need.

I was not sure what had caused her to let loose this emotion, but I didn't think it really had to do with my paintings. Even though it was true that many in my tribe including my father did not understand my desire to paint. They would much rather I put all my efforts into perfecting my weaponry craft and hunting skills.

No, my paintings had seemed to make Flora so happy, and I had been incredibly flattered. Perhaps they had made her remember something?

I was worried for my rescued woman. Clearly, she had been through much before I had found her. Perhaps she was grieving what she had lost? Her family, her tribe, her home. It pained me deeply to have seen her hurting so much, on the inside as well as the outside, and I wished there was something more I could do or say to take it from her. But I knew that being there for her was most important. And be there I would. I would continue to tend to her physical wounds, and her emotional ones. My exotic beauty was already learning my language, and I looked forward to our ability to communicate with one another continue to grow.

Looking over at the fire to make sure that it had enough fuel for the night, I carefully laid down on my back in the furs while keeping the sleeping Flora gently cradled to me.

She wiggled herself closer against me, settling her cheek upon my chest, her body laid out snuggly upon mine. I adjusted the furs around her, making sure that she was covered from head to toe nice and cozy, my own body heat providing her warmth as well.

As my own eyes grew heavy with sleep, I thought about how wonderful it would be to spend every night for the rest of my life just like this. With Flora cuddled in my arms, and eventually with our little ones joining as well. I wondered what they would look like. If they would have my red hair, green eyes, and freckles as most of my siblings did, or if they would take after Flora's earthen brown hair and eyes. Maybe they would be a mix of both?

I smiled as the fantasy took hold. Seeing Flora dressed in the clothing of my people, her belly rounded with child as she played with another of our offspring. And then I would come up behind them both, taking them in my arms for a loving embrace while they laughed and hugged me back. My tribesmen would be in awe of my beautiful little family, and Flora and I would be the happiest of mates the world had ever seen.

I fell asleep with that smile upon my face.

                                                              ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I awoke to the feel of warmth not only from the risen sun, but from Flora still snuggled half atop me --- her uninjured leg draped across my body and her hands burrowed beneath my top covering.

I smiled, grateful that the events of the previous day had not been some sort of dream, or vision from the Great Mother. To say that my heart was filled with joy to still have this woman in my arms would be an understatement. And another, lower part of my body echoed the sentiment.

I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment, realizing that my mating staff had swollen with desire and was now pressing up against Flora's soft lower belly through our skin coverings. I glanced down at her face again to make sure she was still asleep, relieved at the sight of her slumbering face, her lips slightly parted. My heart panged at the adorable sight she made, and it did not help matters down below.