25

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say. I knew this was a big possibility but now that it's a reality I didn't know how to react. "MaZulu, what do you say?" I cleared my throat. "Let me try and understand. You want us to be in a polygamous marriage?" I asked them and they nodded. "Can I have some time to think about it?"

Before they could even answer my father jumped in. "What do you mean time to think? Just this morning you were adamant about marrying this man. Also, let's be honest. You don't have time to think! Soon that bump will be visible and this entire situation you've put us all in will be unsalvageable!"

I bit my tongue to keep my tears back. "Answer!" He shouted at the top of his voice. "Yes, I'll be your second wife." I answered him. This is not how I thought it would go. I was supposed to be happy. I was supposed to be overjoyed. This is exactly what I wanted. Why does it feel like my heart is aching.

"MaZulu, is it possible for me to see Buhle before we go?" I cleared my throat to make sure I still had a voice. "I'll send Veronica." I said and asked to be dismissed. I went upstairs and asked Veronica to take Buhle down to them. When she left I got under the covers and cried.

What was wrong with me? I was aware this could happen but for some reason I wanted Moses all to myself. I didn't want to share him. I couldn't share him and my heart broke knowing that I had to. "Zethu? Are you in here?" It was Fikile. "Your father just told me the good news." She came to sit on the edge of the bed.

"We have a month to plan the biggest wedding South Africa has ever seen. Aren't you excited?" She asked but I didn't answer. "Zethu?" I cleared my throat. "I'm really tired ma." She sighed but let me be.

That night I was sat down and told I would be starting the preparations for my umemulo ceremony. I had no choice in the issue. They prepared a room for me downstairs that I had to stay in the whole week. I was not allowed out. I sat in there and random girls were there with me. We practiced the dances for the ceremony and they helped me get my hair braided.

On the Friday night before the ceremony I was let out covered in only a blanket. They brought the cow that they were going to slaughter and use in the ceremony to me. Later that night myself and all the girls took a walk to the river. The only thing that covered was were out blankets. We started a fire and sang and danced the whole night. We woke up the next morning and bathed in the river.

My father's first three wives came to us and gave us our clothes. I wore a cow hide skirt and a beaded neckpiece and headband. We sang and dance our way home. Even though I didn't want the ceremony I was having a lot of fun.

The field behind our house was full of people. Huge white tents were set up for the celebrations. We sang and danced an since the cow was slaughtered my oldest brother, Thulani had to rub  the cow fat all over me. "Themba would've been the one to do this. I know he's looking down on us and he's very proud of you little sis." He wiped the tears that escaped from my eye.

I was given a spear. I had to throw it and where it landed my father had to run and shout our clan praises. When I threw threw the spear it landed right infront of my father. He shouted and danced in happiness. The girls and I danced some more and then I was showered with gifts in the form of money.

I met a whole bunch of important people. From business men, to politicians, ministers, and even a few famous artists. Baskets of money were collected and my family members pinned money to me. I met my uncle's and and their sons and wives. There was not a girl in sight. All of my uncle's had sons who had sons. The woman who were married into the family didn't seem to like me one bit. I was getting glares and scoffs.

The party went on for two days and it grew bigger and bigger. I even got to introduce Moses to my family. I couldn't stop smiling. Everything just felt right until Fikile pulled me aside.

"You need to have an interaction with Nozipho. You will go to her and blow your whistle. She'll put money in your basket. You'll dance together and then you'll hug. Keep it short. We need to cement your friendship in the media before we announce the wedding."

What in the world was going on? She was dead serious and I was still trying to figure out what I got myself into by coming home. It wasn't a big deal but is this what the rest of my life was going to be like? A bunch of fake photos for the press?

I did as she said and I was surprised that Nozipho was going along with it. She gifted me a stack of money. We danced shortly and  then we hugged. The photographers my family hired wouldn't stop snapping. The even made us stand together and pose for a picture. This was crazy. This woman hated me with every fibre of her being and here she was hugging me an dancing with me.

The next chapter of my life should be interesting.