Chapter 1

A/N : This story is taking place in Tokyo, and Hiyori and Ikuya both share an apartment. 

Hiyori's POV:

A/N : This is an outdoor pool

Splash! I cannonballed into the pool, the water splashing everywhere, spraying all over Ikuya, drenching him. Ikuya scrunched his nose, and huffed. 

"Hiyori! I told you I didn't want to get wet!" Ikuya muttered. 

I laughed and shoved a big wave of water at him, making him soaking wet, the water dripping and making a pool on the cool tile floor.

Ikuya walked over to the edge of the pool, and jumped in, spraying Hiyori as revenge. They both splashed each other until their arms started to ache. They then decided to rest a bit before doing a bit of practice. 

We leaned onto each other as we watched the sun dip down below the horizon, the bright colours fading into the crisp midnight blue. My heart started to beat a little faster than normal, and I felt a little bit... queasy? My ears felt a little red, and my stomach felt different, like it had, (how do I describe this)... moths in my stomach? I felt fluttery and uneasy on the inside, making me tremble. I forced myself to stop shivering and tried to relax, leaning into Ikuya a little. He flinched at first, then stiffened, but he didn't stop me so...

Ikuya got up and went over to the lane pool, so I got up and walked after him to swim laps with him. We both got onto diving platforms, and I felt a sixth sense almost as if I merged with Ikuya, as we readied ourselves, we jumped in at the same time, splashing through the water and swimming. We somehow both did the breast stroke, and each time I looked and glanced at Ikuya, he was always in sync, like koi fish forever circling harmony, like the ocean rythmically lapping the sandy beach, like the sun and the moon moving east to west each day...

We reached the end, and ended at the same time. I smiled at Ikuya and he stared at me, with his crimson amber eyes grr.  He quickly looked away, pushing himself out of the pool. 

"Im going to go change now." he said.

I floated on my back in the water for a bit, watching him walk away. I closed my eyes. Why does this keep happening? Every time I meet Ikuya, I feel weird, different, like I want... more? I don't really know what I want, I feel so confused. After all, I don't feel this way with my friends. Could it really be... No I shouldn't think about that. I cant, even if I had 'it'. It would ruin the friendship and everything I have created with Ikuya, and I would be all alone. Like I did all those years ago...

Shoving that thought away, I reflected back to the day I first met Ikuya in the pool. I belive it was in Iwatobi, back when we were kids. I was just swimming by myself, per usual, when Ikuya looked at me and told me that i was good at swimming. I was quite surprised and taken off-guard at first haha. He offered to be friends with me. I remembered the blast of euphoria I got. After all, that was the day I learned to smile again. I remembered that little mermaid book that he would keep with him at his place, how he thought he was the little mermaid. He loved the story of the little mermaid. 

I wasnt as fond of the story however. I still dont understand why Ikuya liked that story so much. How he was so obsessed with Haru... and how I yelled at him on the playground about how he could make his own dreams come true. How he was not the little mermaid. How he can be strong, as strong as Haru, maybe even stronger. It truly hurt to see him suffering so much to be someone he was not. To be Haru. To be the little mermaid. To change himself. 

He didnt listen. And those few days after that he avoided me. Ignored me. Isolated me. They were the loneliest days of my life. Lonelier than my childhood days. Thankfully, we made up, god knows what I wouldve done if I hadnt... Im just glad we are friends again.I opened my eyes and stared at the night sky. The stars decorating the crisp cobalt blue sky, with the moon as the biggest centerpiece, shining in all its glory. It was a full moon tonight. It was a beautiful night. I felt the water lap over and over my body gently. It was truly peaceful swimming at night, or rather, in my case, floating at night.

I stood up and walked over to the edge of the pool, pushing myself out of the pool with the help of the wall. I walked over to the locker room and changed my clothes quickly. I knew Ikuya wouldnt wait too long for me, so I rushed to put on my socks and shoes and headed out the door. I saw Ikuya walking away, so I jogged up to catch up to him. I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and smiled at him. He looked at me, surprised a little, then scrunched up his nose again.

"What took you so long? What were you doing?" Ikuya asked me

"I was just floating at the pool. Its very relaxing, you should try it sometime." I answered back.

"But I am the little mermaid! Little mermaids dont float as they please!" he said.

I rolled my eyes and took my arm back, shoving them in my pockets. We talked for a little while after that, then the rest of the walk home was silent. I looked at the scenery to pass the time in my head, I watched the cars whiz by, the trees shiver when a cold breeze whipped by, the streetlights occasionally flickering in the dark. It was a nice night tonight.

We reached the apartment, and I took of my shoes to and started making myself a small dinner before I head off to bed. Ikuya headed off to his room and went straight to bed. I grabbed a packet of ramen and heated it in the microwave. I heated it up and watched it turn round and round in the microwave. Once done, i took it out, added some flavour into it, and started eating it. Though it wasnt particularly healthy or as good as homemade ramen, I still enjoyed it. I threw the cup in the trash.

Ikuya POV:

I lay in my bed, staring up at the ceiling. I felt a bit tingly today, and my stomach felt all weird from what felt like butterflies flapping around. Hiyori. Hiyori. Hiyori. His name pulled the strings in my heart, and I didnt know why. I couldnt say this was my first time feeling this way, I have felt it for another as well, but it definetely wasnt friendship. I turned around and tried to go to sleep. But I couldnt. Everyttime I almost drifted off to sleep, a memory of Hiyori would pop up, and then I was wide awake. It was quite frustrating. 

Suddenly the door of my room opened. I closed my eyes and slowed my breathing, so hiyori would think I was asleep. I heard footsteps grow louder and louder towards me, and then I felt a kiss on my forehead. The footsteps receded and I heard the door close. What was that all about!? I thought to myself.