Chapter 3

---The Next Day---

Ikuya POV:

4:37pm:

Recently, I have been feeling different about Hiyori. I have been thinking about him a lot lately... I think about the grace of his smile, the kindness in his eyes he shines at me, the tingly feeling I get whenever he touches me, the list goes on. He's so sweet to me, kind, ready to challenge anyone for me.. 

Hold on. 

What am I thinking! I am NOT in love with Hiyori... I cant be! 

I cant allow myself to feel this way. I must focus on my job, and on my swimming. If I am ever to become a professional swimmer and ditch my current job, I have to become stronger. I have to work harder. I have to give my free time to become stronger, like the little mermaid did when she traded her voice for a tail. Thats what I needed to do right now. I needed to train, get stronger, and swim globally, like my brother. 

Like haru. 

Haru. 

Haru. 

Haru. 

Haru is an amazing swimmer, with an amazing freestyle. I remember the time when we were in middle school, and haru told my brother (the captain of the swim team) that he only swam free and individually or something like that ,(my memories a bit hazy). Im pretty sure he got mad at Haru, and raced him. 

They both tied ,(of course), but I think Haru shouldve won. 

Haru is more graceful at swimming, I loved his freestyle. How would he describe it... something like 'I cut through the water, making an opening and sliding through. I swim with the water, not against it.' Doesnt that sound so cool?! Ive always loved Harus way of swimming, I really wish, more than anything, to swim like him. Thats why i must work harder, work until my arms and legs give out, so i can be like Haru, because Haru is like the little mermaid when hes in the water. 

Of course, I have already taken the identity so Haru can be... a fish I guess. I am the little mermaid.

I took out my headphones and shut down my computer. I packed my swimming bag and flung it over my shoulder. I walked over to Hiyoris room, and said

"Im going to the pool right now. later."

Hiyori looked a bit surprised when he looked up at me. I was about to leave the room when he called out; "Ikuya wait!"

I stopped in my tracks and turned to look at him. he looked a bit.. uncomfortable. 

"I was uhm.. actually planning to-to go to the pool with you tonight if thats.. if thats fine?" he said. 

He pursed his lips, then said "Its better to swim at night, nobody will be there to bother us and all the lanes will be free" 

I sighed. I guess I could go later, he does make a good point. 

"fine, we can head out later then." I muttered

His eyes sparkled for a split-second before returning back to normal. He smiled.

"Then its settled. Lets go at 8:00pm" He said.

I nodded my head and returned to my room.

---Time skip to 8:00pm at the pool---

Hiyori POV:

We looked at the pool, shimmering in the light of the moon. The moon was full tonight. I got into the water, I was going to do a couple of backstroke laps. I saw Ikuya get into the water and into backstroke position. It was as if we had the same sixth sense again- I swore it was like a countdown in our heads. We took off at the same time synced again and back crawled. We swam fast and furious, and made it at the same time. It felt like two musical melodies merging into once, creating a symphony working together as a harmony. We did a couple more laps before I got out of the pool. I was feeling quite nervous. 

While Ikuya was doing a few laps, I kept trying to open my mouth and let everything out, but I was scared. I was scared of rejection. Scared of being alone. Scared of losing Ikuya forever. I did not want to go through the years of loneliness all over again. But I had to tell him, he had the right to know! I swallowed the lump in my throat and finally forced myself to say it:

"The moon sure is beautiful tonight, isn't it Ikuya?"

Ikuya looked at me through his goggles, his eyes growing wide from surprise. They were beautiful, his eyes. He was about to open his mouth to reply, but then he started splashing the water frantically, fear clouding his eyes. I gasped in horror of realization. Ikuya was drowning.