Chapter 7

Hiyori POV:

Its been a while since Ikuya left to go to the pool with Haru. I wonder if he's still mad at me. Well yeah hes still mad at me, but come on. He wanted to go to the pool with Haru. Haru! Whats there to like about Haru? He's just an aloof guy with a deadass expression all the time who just so happens to be a good swimmer. Im a good swimmer to! Why didn't Ikuya just go with me? Whats wrong with me?

What does Haru have that I dont?

And even if it was "none of my business", Ikuya is too careless around Haru. I was only asking because I wanted to protect Ikuya. If Ikuya goes off with Haru again hes going to think he has a chance of being as good as him, and then once Haru proves to him that he isnt, hes going to be heartbroken. And whos going to have to listen to his rants about Haru when this happens? 

Me!

I just dont want him to have to go through this and see that that was clearly a bad idea in hindsight. Thats all. I was asking for his sake. 

Regardless I still dont want him to be mad at me when he comes back, so im going to buy him some sweet tamagoyaki (japanese omelette) from the cafe for him. That should cheer him up.

Ikuya POV:

Plunging through the water, I backstroke, kicking my legs to this internal rhythm. I look to the side to see haru backstroking as well. We propel through the water like a tiger shark spotting it prey, and I fall into sync with Haru. 

Maybe I can keep up! 

Until we get to the wall. I turn to push against the wall to thrust myself forward, but Haru, having the stronger thighs, pushes the wall harder, causing him to speed ahead faster than me. I feel myself running behind, getting slower. Slower. Slower. Just when I thought I was as good as Haru. Just when I thought I had mastered my technique and perfected my range this time. 

Just when I thought I was good enough.

That reality hit me hard, like a hard pill to swallow. Haru was more of a mermaid than I am. Then I will ever be.

Im just this dumb lame fish sidekick who will always struggle to keep up. Haru makes it back to the starting point and sits on the ledge. I make it a few seconds after him, and gasp. Haru watches me try to catch my breath. i finally calm down and he says: 

"Ikuya, do you want to go to a cafe with me now? I am meeting with the swim club, and since you are here, you should join us to reunite."

I glance at a clock nearby. Its getting dark, almost 6:30 PM. I should be heading home by now if i want to go before it gets to dark. 

But Harus going to be there. And its not like theres anything important to do at home. Its just Hiyori. 

"Sure, I guess Ill go." I say, trying to sound indifferent. I think I came off reserved. 

"Okay. Let's go."

We head off into the locker rooms and shower before walking to the cafe.

Hiyori POV:

*brrr* Its a breezy evening outside huh. I knew I should've worn my cardigan! Oh well. Walking through the streets, I pass by the convenience store. I love that convenience store. It always has my favourite coffee jelly in stock. The cars zoom by me as I keep walking. Up ahead is the swimming pool. Maybe I should stop by to see Ikuya. He might still be there. I look through the fence to see if he is there but no teal-haired dude in sight. Where could Ikuya have gone?

Suddenly I hear Ikuya and Haru's voice nearby. I slow down to eavesdrop.

"..with me now... to reunite?"

"...I'll go.."

I move into an alleyway just as they exit together. They walk away. But not on the way to our apartment. What are Haru and Ikuya doing? where are they going? What for? And why are they reuniting??

My mind becomes clouded with all sorts of bad conclusions. What if Haru takes Ikuya to live with him? What if they are going off on a date? or worse... 

I decide to take it upon myself to follow them. To make sure Ikuya doesnt get into any trouble and whatnot. 

Tamagoyaki can wait.