The Doll

On the morning of the third day I awoke with a start as a loud knocking pierced through silence of the house. I was immediately alarmed to find that Sophia was no longer laying in my arms at the door. I ran to her room and was relieved to find he sleeping soundly. At some point in the night Sophia hand wandered to her bed to find her favorite doll which she now clutched dearly in her small arms as she slept. 

The knocking on the door came again, persistent and more feverish than before. I hesitated then cracked the door open with great caution, and was relieved to see Father Ivanov standing in my door way. He was dressed in a brown robe of the church and had pulled the cowl up over his head to conceal his appearance. 

"Father! Please come in!" I beckoned him inside before he could announce the reason for his visit.

"Spasibo, Vladimir. God bless you." He replied as he entered and removed his hood. 

"Forgive my appearance, it is not safe to be caught in the street today." He explained as he produced a small basket from his satchel.

"Not even for a priest? Has the captain of the guard fallen so far he would dare to strike a man of God?" Even before I spoke the words I could feel a rage welling within me, though I did not know from whence it came and dared not to act upon it. 

"Be calm, my friend! This is not the time for wrath. We must have patience and trust in Gods plan." Ivanov spoke in the same strong tone he reserved for Mass, and I was grateful that it served to calm the storm building within me.

"Of course, please forgive me, Father." 

"All is forgiven, my son, and I have only come to see about you and little Sophia?" As if his mentioning of her name had somehow summoned her, Sophia stepped softly into the room. She was rubbing her tired eyes with the back of her hand while her prized doll swung at her side in the other hand. Her expression brightened to a wide, beautiful smile when she realized who the caller was.

"Father Ivanov!" She shouted and ran to his outstretched arms to embrace him.

"Oh how it warms my heart to see you safe, child. Come now I have brought gifts from the church!" He said as he stood and opened the basket to reveal a fresh loaf of bread.

I set three places at the table and poured a glass of wine for myself and Ivanov. We broke bread and Father Ivanov offered a prayer of thanks for the meal. After we had eaten Sophia sat upon the floor to play with her doll. I leaned closely to Ivanov and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Father, if I may ask. What have you heard of the roads outside the city? The guards closed the gates as we fled home yesterday and we could not escape the city." I whispered.

"A good thing you did not, there have been reports of plague victims in St. Petersburg, and the roads are blocked around Moscow. The Czarina has ordered a quarantine, all citizens must remain in their homes. Anyone caught by the patrols have been dealt with mercilessly by the army, God forgive them."

"And the infirmed? Is it truly the plague?" I asked sitting now on the edge of my chair.

"It is. The convent has already begun to receive victims, I fear we will not have enough beds by nightfall" He said and quickly performed the Signum Crucis.

"You are a saint to have risked yourself to check in on your flock during this time, Father" I said clasping his shoulder. 

There was a pause as we watched Sophia blissfully playing with her doll. It gave me some small comfort to see her there after all she had witnessed. In truth I allowed myself to believe all would be well if we simply remained at home. Then a heavy knock came at the door and saw the blood drain from Father Ivanov's face.