Chapter Nineteen

In the two and a half weeks since the spider bite, things had only gotten weirder. Peter was trying to get used to his new abilities, and he was starting to get the hang of it. And it was actually really fun. But that wasn't the weird part, surprisingly enough.

The weird part was Tony.

Ever since that day, things have been awkward. School had let out for the summer about a week ago, and in the first week of summer vacation, Peter had seen Tony a total of four times. The man took his meals down to his workshop, and stayed down there most nights. Peter hadn't tried to join him, afraid that he'd done something to deserve this. There had to be a reason for this.

Things were tense between Tony and Pepper as well. When it started, Pepper talked to him in a compassionate tone. Loving and understanding. But as one week turned to two, Pepper grew more and more impatient. They argued, but Peter didn't know what about. Not specifically. He usually puts on his headphones and plays some music when the arguments start.

What a way to start the summer.

He'd give almost anything to go wading in the river right about now. Maybe go fishing or swim in the lake. But last he checked, he can't do that in New York. Peter was considering asking Pepper if they could visit Wimberley for a couple weeks this summer. But now didn't exactly seem like the best time.

He'd also managed to keep himself distracted through training. Natasha had been teaching him what he needed to know if he wanted to do the whole superhero thing. Peter still had a long way to go, but there was progress.

That's actually where he is now. He's waiting in the gym for Natasha. Today they're supposed to be working on hand to hand combat, which Peter found therapeutic to be honest.

"Hey baby spider. Are you ready?"

"As I'll ever be." They hadn't been training for ten minutes when the spy brought up the issue.

"You know, I could still talk to him." Natasha says between hits.

"Ms. Potts has already tried. That's what I assume anyway." He ducks, narrowly avoiding a punch. "I feel like I done somethin' wrong."

"You haven't. So I wouldn't worry too much about it." Natasha finishes the fight with her signature move, bringing Peter to the ground and landing in her 'spy pose' as Peter calls it. She hadn't even realized it was something she'd done- but after years it's become a habit. She takes his hand and helps him to his feet.

"What am I supposed to do Aunt Natasha?"

"Talk to him."

"But-"

"Talk to him, Peter. Find out what's going on. If you don't figure out what's up, then you won't be able to find a way to fix it."

"I reckon you're right."

"Oh I know."

Pepper's heels click against each step, the sound echoing off the walls as she makes her way to the workshop. She's balancing a dinner plate in one hand and a bottle of water in the other. The sounds of Welcome To The Jungle by Guns N' Roses can be heard before the workshop is even in sight.

She'd just got out of a meeting, and thankfully Natasha had already finished making dinner. Peter had already eaten and they were now all watching a movie in the common area.

As irritated as she may be with Tony, she loves him and is going to make sure he eats. Tucking the bottled water under her arm, she reaches for the door handle to pull it open. It doesn't budge.