Five - Salark

© 2021 Calliope Night. All rights reserved.

"WHAT DO YA WANT YA WACK JOB BIRD"

***

Lark was almost done eating dinner when Nathan dropped his plate with a deafening clang, making everyone flinch. As if the cafeteria isn't noisy enough already.

The cafeteria and the library were attached to the first floor of the central building, which was essentially just the outer corridor, with the help of more sky bridges. Lark shoveled down his food quickly, knowing that it was only going to get louder.

"I'm going to go pick up Dialet," Lark told Yang, the only person who wasn't yelling at Nathan.

He put his plate away before he hurried downstairs to the pet center when he realized it was late and it was nearly time for the place to close. Jett, a caretaker, waved at him while trying to stop Dialet, Lark's red falcon, from flying into the window. Will she ever learn?

Lark noticed Jett was dressed in a suit. He wasn't all that surprised. Jett was good-looking, so he'd always assumed he was on dates. Not that he was a player, at least to Lark. He didn't seem the type.

Jokingly, after reaching Jett, Lark said, "I didn't know you were part of the mafia."

Jett answered without missing a beat, "But of course, I'm here on a secret mission to assassinate you."

"Oh really, who sent you?"

"A lovely lady by the name of Dialet, although does it really matter if you know who sent you or not if you're dead?"

"NO, DIALET HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?" Lark shouted in fake betrayal, causing Dialet to squawk in surprise hearing her name shouted out.

"Haha, there's no point in being upset, you'll be... erased anyway MWAHAHAHAHA," Jett replied dramatically.

One of the lunch ladies walking by noticed the two boys bantering. She was a nice elderly woman who all the students and staff members liked. Jett and her especially were very close. She knew it was getting late and if Lark didn't get his bird out, it would be logged as overtime and both he and Jett would get in trouble.

"Boys, as the head of police of this town I'm going to have to step in, young citizen you may leave," she quivered, reminding Lark that he ought to get his very concerned bird before he was logged overtime causing him to rush towards Dialet.

"Thank you very much great enforcer of the law also... Dialet I know you would never actually betray me, my beloved!" Lark squashed Dialet into his arms while saying the last part causing her to squawk and frantically beat her wings hitting him in the face a good three times. He dashed through the connecting doors and out another on the other side.

"Wait, young man, don't go out like that, it's dangerous!" The lunch lady called after Lark, but it was to no avail. He had already sprinted out the other side.

With Dialet still clutched in Lark's arms, he booked it out the window to keep up with the act. After a couple of meters, he waved at Jett through the windows, but he didn't seem to notice Dialet screeching and squawking at Lark. Finally, the bird bit down on his arm, causing him to let go abruptly. Dialet took this chance and settled down on the ground.

"Ouch!" he yelled and looked at Dialet, who seemed to glare back at him and indignantly flapped her wings and jumped almost like she was trying to say, That was your fault!

"Ya ya, okay, so I probably should have let go, I'm sorry," Lark apologized. As if to accept his apology, Dialet hopped up onto Lark's shoulder and perched there. He then walked out of the building and took to the sky with Dialet.

Lark shivered because of the cool winter breeze. The windows of the classrooms were lit up with a warm glow. He always found the building eerie after school. He flew past a few people who were walking by before catching up to Dialet and promptly putting a leash on her.

As Lark flew over the field alongside Dialet, he watched as students hurried over to their friends and strolled around. Among the few students out there, he spotted the phiri from earlier. She didn't seem to be doing much, so Lark flew down to her with Dialet, cutting in front of him, forcing him to halt. I swear she did that on purpose. Dialet cackled smugly. IS SHE LAUGHING AT ME? Just wait till I-.

Lark stopped his thoughts mid-way when he realized he had landed in front of the phiri, who was staring at him with a confused look on her face.

"So heyyyy..." Lark trailed off.

"What-"

"You probably don't remember me," Lark continued, "But I was bored and just wanted to say hi."

"Hello, Salark... I'm just going to go now then," she said slowly before walking straight past him.

"Hey wait," Lark said hurriedly, going after her, "So how come you know my name? Oh, right I told you."

She turned back to look at him with squinted eyes and shook her head. She seemed confused and concerned.

"Oh, also what-" he started before being interrupted by Dialet obnoxiously screeching in his ear.

"WHAT DO YA WANT YA WACK JOB BIRD," Lark yelled, annoyed. Dialet started at Lark for a bit before flying towards the phiri who had picked up the pace by then. Lark chased after Dialet. Once he caught up with her and the phiri, who was clearly not interested.

Lark walked beside her for a while, rambling and just looking around 'cause he was. They got to the artificial desert designed for Flanetians, when Dialet started acting up again, squawking in the direction of what seemed to be a log.

"Hey, do you see something over there, like a weird moving log or something?" Lark asked.

She turned her head to where he pointed.

I'm pretty sure logs are normal things, by which I mean they don't have weird shapes, and definitely don't randomly lie around in a desert.

"I, I think it's a person."

--A/N--

Hey readers,

It's us, some of you might have heard of the sites Novel HD and Teenfic. A lot of wattpad authors have faced issues with these sites, by having their work copied over there and so have we. We would just like to reiterate that our work is only being published on Wattpad and Inkitt and nowhere else. Please read our books only on Wattpad and Inkitt. Other sites are potentially dangerous and reading it on Wattpad and Inkitt is free and helps us out. 

- Calliope Night