Seven - Emerald

© 2021 Calliope Night. All rights reserved.

"I'll wait for her to wake up now, you can go."

***

After dinner, Em went out on a walk like she usually did.

Somewhere along the line, Lark flew by and bothered her. Er, talk to me. He was a chatty person, and rather annoying. He was also one of the few people who talked to her without wanting something from her or out of obligation.

Lark was rambling on about something when his bird started squawking at something in the desert, "Hey, do you see something over there, like a weird moving log or something?" he asked.

Looking in the direction that he pointed, Em noticed something too. It resembled a log, but it was distinctly not one. There was just something about it that seemed alive, even from the distance.

"It- it kind of looks like a person..." Em muttered under her breath.

"I- I think it's a person," he said, agreeing with her suspicions.

People lying down in the middle of a desert isn't normal, is it?

"OH MY GOD, THEY PROBABLY FAINTED LET'S GO!" she exclaimed, panicking and running towards the figure, seeming to have finally realized the situation.

"YOU JUST REALIZED! ACK WAIT FOR ME!" Lark shouted, chasing after her.

Once nearing the figure, Em's worries were confirmed, much to her dismay.

The person lying there was a girl that looked about their age. She was wearing peculiar clothing and had long brown hair.

Em went over and touched her forehead, only to find that it was burning up. The girl had a severe fever and needed immediate help.. Em wasn't completely sure what the girl was, but it would be bad if she was a Nirapherian. Since they were water spirits, it was hard for them to survive in dry areas. The girl was in a desert no less in the middle of winter when it was even drier than usual. It was no wonder she fainted, if her suspicions were right.

"Lark, would you mind carrying her?" Em asked.

"Sure, no problem."

Em helped Lark settle the girl into his arms as they booked it towards the main building, Lark flying directly above Em. A couple of people gave them worried looks and asked if they needed any help. Lark said that it was fine, and that they had it mostly under control, glancing at Em as if to ask if they actually had it under control. Em shrugged and ran past Lark, who looked anxious.

They were going to the infirmary. Em was there occasionally to help. As they neared the room, Em realized the lights were off, meaning that the room was probably empty. She remembered that after dinner there was often a half-hour period where the staff were in the teacher's lounge. Considering that it was also the last day of the term, they were probably busy too.

She opened the door, and her suspicions were right. There wasn't anyone there other than the three of them.

"Lark, set her over there," Em said, pointing to the closest infirmary bed.

"Um, okay, is there anything else I should do?" he asked, after putting the girl on the bed.

"Yeah, could you turn on the lights? It's really dark and I can't see," Em asked Lark as she blindly scuffled through the containers until he did so.

Lark made his way over to a chair while Em filled a bowl with water and mixed in herbs. Then she soaked a cloth in the solution and wrung it out before placing it on the girl's forehead.

"There," she said once she was done.

"Anyway, what now?"

"I'll wait for her to wake up now, you can go."

"Eh, it's fine. I have nothing to do now anyway."

Oh, come on, can he not take a hint? I want to be alone. This is so awkward.

Em was silently drumming her fingers on her lap, hoping the girl would wake up and save her from the awkward situation when a boy popped his head into the room, "Um, so like where's the nurse"

"She's not here right now what do u want?" Em asked.

"So, there was a fight, and I tried to break it up by setting a nearby tree on fire... "

"You what?"

"well anyway, bye"

"Bye, don't forget to put the fire out," Lark called.