|| The Daily Routine ||

Sophia had woken up in a good mood this morning. She had to get up for a shift at the Bodega. She clambered out of bed and had a shower. She then changed into a pair of denim shorts and a sage green top. It was too hot to wear anything more. She walked through her apartment to the kitchen and grabbed an apple and a glass of water. She then walked through to her small living room where she found Sonny asleep on the couch as usual.

"Sonny" she said as she through a pillow at him and he shook awake. "What?" he asked rubbing his eyes.

"We have work" she says tidying the room up a bit. "You go i'll catch up" he says laying back down.

"Fine but don't be late" she points at him and he just gives her a thumbs up. With that she left to work.

                                           •••
Sophia walked up to the Bodega to find Usnavi taking the tarp off the fruit. She jogged over to him and helped take it off.

"Hey Sophie" he said smiling softly. "Hey Vega" she said in the same tone. They continue to open the front of the shop up when she sees probably her favorite person on earth. Mr Piragua. He sells shaved ice to the people of the barrio.

They greet each other in Spanish. "The usual Seniorita Lopez?" he asks with a warm smile. "yes please" she says. He expertly makes her shaved ice and hands it to her and she pays him.

Sophia then heads back inside to help out. Usnavi glances up from the till up to her as she enters. "Abuella won't be happy with you eating that" he says in a sing song voice. "Who's gonna tell her?" She asks back glaring at him, he puts his hands up in surrender and chuckles.

"What's that smell?" He asks after a second. Sophia takes a smell and can smell something sour. They give each other a knowing look at rush over to the fridge. "The milks gone bad" he says feeling it "wait everything is warm. The fridge broke" he says. Sophia groans in annoyance and eats her shaved ice when the bell rings.

Abuella walks in and Sophia immediately hides the shaved ice behind her back. "Abuella my fridge broke we don't have milk for coffee" Usnavi complains. "Try my mother's old recipe, one can of condensed milk" she says. You stay quiet because you know she will see your blue tongue if you open your mouth. "Sophia why are you being so quiet" she asks suspicious. Sophia simply shrugs.

Abuella gives her a open your mouth look and Sophia gives in and shows her mouth. "Sophia Lopez I have told you so many times not to heat that frozen pile of rubbish" she says sternly and Sophia hears Usnavi stifle a laugh and shoots him a glare. "Give it here it's going in the rubbish" Abuella says holding her hand out. Sophia looks down and hands over her shaved ice. Usnavi then gives Abuella her lottery ticket and she leaves.

Once Abuella leaves Usnavi starts laughing. "I told you" he grins in her face. Sophia just shoves him playfully.

"Where is Sonny he's late?" Usnavi asks. "I woke him up this morning and told him not to be late, but it's Sonny he's probably fallen back to sleep" She shrugs.

The door rings and Kevin Rosario walks in. "Good morning Usnavi" he says waving and Sophia walks round the counter and kisses his cheek. "Morning Pops" Sophia greets. "Morning Mi bailerina" he says and Sophia smiles at the nickname.

"Here's your coffee Sir" Usnavi says handing over the coffee. "Put $20 on today's lottery" he says handing over the money. "Okay, must be a lucky day" Usnavi smiles. Sophia can't help but admire his perfect smile as he talks it makes her stomach flutter.