iii. postface

⸺

craziness and screams

ahh! i can't believe i've reached the end of this (very) short story. this officially marks the first fictional ya/na work i have completed on wattpad & published! wow, just wow.

thank you all so much for reading and supporting! <3 <3 <3

behind the scenes

before i depart and write my final author's note, i want to drop a little insight to some of the intentional decisions i made during the writing of the story & some fun facts about how this short story came to be.

(1) the description of the story (and the chapter names) has always been a hint toward the story: 'since happiness and us never crossed, we were never going to last.' following the description, the whole story going to trace the narrator's break-up with someone he/she/they thought they were going to be with for a long time. it was always going to be sad overall, never knew i would write a happier/hopeful ending.

side note, the story idea came to me first with the story title 'questions i ask since you left,' and the description of the story came second; that's really how i got started on writing this short story.

(2) 'he/she/they.' no names were ever said in the whole story, only pronouns were used to classify the narrator as 'i' or 'me,' the ex (former significant other) as 'you,' and other friends/individuals as 'he,' 'she,' 'they,' 'them,' etcetera. 

why? i wanted there to be anonymity & didn't want to associate any character with any particular individual (which is also why i was a bit hesitant on releasing the 'characters' chapter, where i put faces/genders to the characters/pronouns). i wanted any and all readers to be able to put themselves in the perspective of 'i' to feel the emotions more deeply. it was intentional, but you all can be the judge for whether it was purposeful haha.

(3) writing style? unconventional, to say the least. all lower-case is an aesthetic, yes, and the truth is, i just started writing the story in all lowercase at the beginning, and when i corrected it, it almost felt wrong. but i also kept it that way to make the story's sadness more evident, as if the narrator no long prioritizes himself/herself/themselves following the break-up.

another detail regarding writing style is how the chapters are written in a dialogue manner, but is also not dialogue-like, at the same time; it still has a narration feel. with this, i wanted the questions to rise of 'are these diary or journal entries,' 'is he/she/they reflecting on his/her/their memories within his/her/they mind,' 'is this a long break-up letter or conversation with the significant other?' i wanted to keep those question open-ended, so, at least for now, it's up to you to determine the fate of the narrator's questions. what happens to them?

(4) 'i want more details!' maybe i did leave y'all hanging with how the main characters got back together, and what even happened in the first place. i probably should have been more descriptive (i, also, did feel like i was rushing toward the last third of the story; restricting myself to 11 chapters was a challenge within itself), but, the truth is, i, myself, didn't really know how to write what the ex did.

i don't know, i had some idea of what the ex did, but i couldn't put it in words perfectly and in a way i would be content with. i didn't know how it would fit in the story & chapters since the story became very reflective as i wrote it, almost like the narrator was remembering what the relationship once was and that's what's putting the narrator in this unique position of determining whether or not forgiving & moving on is the right option.

bam, bam, bam. writing all these bts notes is making this chapter longer than any other chapter i wrote for the story. i hope you enjoyed reading a little bit about what's going on inside my brain. let me know if you have any questions & i shall answer the best i can! :)

final author's note (finally, haha)

from the bottom of my heart, again & always, thank you all so much for reading and supporting. i read all the comments during the writing & publishing process of this story, and they, truly, made me smile, always encouraging me to continue to write & publish. 

my goal on wattpad has always been, and still currently is, to write (short) stories for readers, like you, to feel, to relate, to understand. whether it's sadness, happiness, uncertainty, or hope, i hope you can feel the emotions, relate to the sentiment, and understand the meaning behind the story, finding it inspirational in your own way.

i hope you all enjoyed reading & please let me know your opinions of this short story! i would love to hear any feedback you all have so i can continue to improve. ^-^ i can't thank you all enough for reading; i hope you found it worth-while.

(and if you did enjoy a little more than you anticipated, i hope you will continue to follow/support me with my future works!)

much love,

x luna.