50. Stop, Drop, And Roll

Christmas of 2012 was one I'd never forget.
The awkwardness, to begin with, was way too much for me to take. Lewis was super off with me, trying to avoid eye contact, while I was trying to force conversation to escape the awkwardness.

To make matters worse, Lewis had pinned mistletoes under every doorframe in the apartment, so both of us were actively trying to run in and out of rooms away from each other to avoid having to kiss each other.

Luckily we didn't have to spend too much time around each other as I had spent most of it cooking Christmas dinner in the kitchen, while Lewis twiddled his thumbs somewhere in another room.

I did however soon find out that Lewis was FaceTiming his family while he sat in his room. It honestly made me feel like a bitch. Lewis obviously thought we'd be spending Christmas together as a couple, but instead, we were spending it like we half hated each other—which we did.

Brock Rumlow and Natasha loved that story when I returned to work after New Year.

"Wait, so you actually thought Christmas Day was the best time to dump your boyfriend?" Rumlow repeated, trying to stop himself from laughing.

I rolled my eyes as Natasha asked afterward, "Did you guys even open the presents?"

"Lewis decided that his gift to me was 'no longer appreciate' now we weren't together anymore," I revealed and they both burst out with laughter again.

"He probably had to return and engagement or something," Rumlow joked again but I took a sharp breath at that statement.

"Puh-lease, I am not ready for engagement. If he was going to propose he wouldn't have gotten the answer he was looking for anyway," I sassed.

"y/n, you seem way too hard to impress," Natasha noted which irked me a little bit.

"I am not hard to impress," I argued as the pair of them looked at each other and giggle before turning back to me. "Yes. You are," Romanoff repeated.

"Receipts or it's not true," I told them, folding my arms waiting to hear their cases against me.

"Okay, so you've got this guy who is completely besotted by you, and had been groveling for you for—what is it—three years?" Rumlow dropped his first point, which wasn't valid enough to accept.

"I'm not taking that because 1) he didn't grovel at all. I wanted him to get a job and pay some bills and he refused and 2) if we're being extremely specific it was a year and eleven months because we were one and off a lot of time between those three years," I corrected him, "Nat?" I said, wanting to hear her argument next.

"Our uniforms department has made two designs for your new suit and you haven't approved of any of them," Natasha claimed, which was true.

"Okay...better, but the first one had no pockets and I specifically asked for a suit with good storage. The second one had red accents on it. I told them I wanted a more neutral color like purple. It's not red and it's not blue," I defended my choice to reject the two previous suits that were presented to me.

"The doesn't change the fact that your standards are unnecessarily high," Rumlow concluded.

I raised my brows, "Unnecessarily high?" I questioned.

"Don't listen to his ass, Y/N," she said to me before she turned to Brock, "It just means she doesn't take shit from anyone. She doesn't settle."

"Regardless, I think Cap had a worse Christmas break than you did," Rumlow snickered, but I had no idea what he meant.

"Oh, God," Natasha giggled as Rumlow got a video clip from his phone and held it out for me to see, "You're gonna love this."

"Introducing, Rappin' with Cap!" Rumlow sang as the video began to play.