1

This is a Greys Anatomy Code Black crossover, but the focus is on Meredith and Amelia and how they are coping without Derek. Set shortly after Meredith leaves Seattle with the kids, she is now in San Francisco.

Code Black 101:

The term 'Code Black' comes from hospitals having more patients than resources in their ER.

The show takes place at Angels Memorial Hospital in a LA. One of the busiest ER's in the Country. It is also a teaching hospital.

Main Character Dr. Leanne Rorish: An experienced ER doctor who was hardened by tragedy after her family died 3 years ago in a car accident and all she could do was watch as inept doctors took over the care of her family. She is the Resident Director at Angels Memorial Hospital.

Jesse Salander: is the Head Nurse, right hand man to the doctors, and also the self declared "Mama" he is the buffer between the residents and Dr. Rorish. I like to think of him as Leanne's 'Person'. Jesse is experienced and tough, but also has a lot of heart and compassion.

Dr. Christa Lorenson: A first year resident whose young son died tragically of cancer. Her experience with this is what caused her to go into med school. Because of this she is a few years older then the other residents who jumped in straight after high school. It also exemplifies her compassion.

More info will be posted as needed.

Enjoy!

In a cozy apartment Meredith Grey jolted awake. She thought maybe it was her son crying or Zola at the door again. But there was nothing but silence. She looked over to Derek's side of the bed and realized with a pang in her heart that Derek would never be there. The bed was different, the room was different. Derek was gone. She let out a heavy weeping shudder and curled in a tight fetal position to will herself asleep, so she could forget for another few hours.

"Mommy!" Bailey called from across the hall. Meredith opened her eyes and sighed.

"It's okay sweetie, I'm coming." She padded to his room across the hall to the kids room. Thankfully Bailey's cry hadn't woken Zola. She sat down on the bed beside him. "What's wrong?"

He was squirming in his bed, but his eyes were closed "Mommy!" He screamed again and she realized he was having a night terror. This was a new development, the last time he had done this she shook him awake and tried to convince him it was a dream, but he didn't understand, he only screamed and cried and that made Zola wake up too. That made it a bad day for all of them because it caused her to miss Derek more. He would have known what to do. He would have calmed Bailey, reassured his wife with a kiss on her forehead, and they probably would have all ended up in their big bed underneath the post-it...

"Damn it," Meredith muttered under her breath as Bailey whimpered again. She picked his big stuffed bear off the floor and put it in his arms. Softly she whispered comforting sounds and lay down beside her son until his cries faded.

Her eyelids grew heavy and she was on the verge of sleep when the blaring ring of her phone startled her. Awake again, she waited anxiously for the noise to stop so her sleeping son would stay asleep. Alex, stop calling, she thought in spite.

Don't wake up, don't wake up don't wake up, she mentally conveyed to Bailey. After a minute the ringing stopped. Then it rang again. Merideth knew something was wrong because it was really rare that Alex called twice and she knew he was considerate enough to not call at one o'clock in the morning.

When she forced herself from the bed Bailey cried out. She scooped him up and marched to her room to grab the phone, if only to stop that infernal racket that was waking her child.

"Hello?"

"Hello, this is Dr. Rorish from Angels Memorial Hospital in LA" The voice sounded ubrupt and urgent. Meredith didn't like it. "I need to speak to Derek Shepherd please."

"Derek is... not here."

"Then are you Meredith?"

No you have the wrong number go away and stop calling, "Yes, What is it? What happened?" Over her shoulder Bailey started to cry again, sensing his mother's anxiety.

"Amelia Shepherd is in our ER. You and Derek are listed as her emergency contacts. She's in serious condition but I've stablilized her. It's extremely important that someone be here for her."

Bailey cried louder and Meredith tried to rock him. "Umm, I..." The noise of a chaotic ER in the background further disrupted her thoughts and she couldn't think, she was so confused. "I..."

"Listen," Dr. Rorish took charge, "She's fragile. Someone needs to come see her." In the background someone called for Doctor Rorish. She muttered something to them and then spoke louder into the phone, "Please come as soon as you can." The line on the other end disconnected and Meredith was left with her crying child.

A/N: Thanks for reading!  Please vote and comment below!