2

A/N So this takes place about an hour before Meredith received the phone call. Bear with me I'm not up on the medical jargon- so this may not be completely accurate. I'm trying to just keep it simple and realistic.

**Warning, mentions of self harm**

Dr. Mayala Pineda: A young and ambitious doctor, but not at the expense of others. Mayala is a natural. Her training happened at Angels Memorial as a med student and an intern which means she has a close relationship with Jesse.

1 Hour ago

LA Angels Memorial

It was a sound Dr. Leanne Rorish heard all too often. Flatline. It was a sound that sometimes faded into the background as she was pulled to another patient. She looked up over the body to Mayala, one of the newest residents. They had done everything they could for the patient, but it was too late. "Time of death," she looked at her watch, "11:58 pm."

For a split second there was silence. Rorish looked over at Mayala's shocked gaze. "You did everything you could."

Mayala shook her head. "I shouldn't have left him, he told me-"

Rorish was interrupted by her pager. "Incoming trauma, one minute away. Let's go." She yanked off her plastic scrubs and gloves, reached for the clipboard and signed it. No time to waste, she ran to the ambulance bay.

Jesse appeared in her peripheral vision. "I got this Jesse," Rorish said, "Check on Mayala." She knew that Mayala was blaming herself for leaving the patient alone.

Jesse nodded, he understood what she wanted him to do. "Dr. Lorenson, you're with Rorish." He went off to find Mayala. Rorish dashed to the ambulance bay.

The bay doors burst open. Paramedics pushed a stretcher through as they ran beside it "35 year old female with wrist lacerations. Patient has lost about a lot of blood. Pulse is thready, blood pressure is low!" The paramedic recited as they rolled her into a trauma room.

"Alright!," Rorish said, "Type and cross, order a tox screen!" Dr. Rorish ran along beside the gurney in her plastic scrubs. Dr. Lorenson was on the other side of her. "We need Plasma and O neg! "Several other nurses and staff surrounded them.

The patient seemed tiny on the gurney. She was struggling underneath the paramedics and doctors arms Rorish flashed a light into her pupils to check their reaction. "Christa, where's the oxygen?"

"Here," Lorenson placed an oxygen mask over the womans mouth. She was still conscious- her blue eyes darting about in panic.

"You're going to be alright." Rorish said. "Hang in there." To the paramedics she yelled "Do we have a name?"

"Washington licence, Amelia Shepherd."

"Amelia," Rorish looked back down at her patient who had now passed out. Suddenly the monitors beeped loudly- "She's taching! Paddles!" The paddles were handed over Amelia while everyone stood back. "200!" Rorish called, "Clear!"

The body jerked with electricity, But no change in heart rhythm. "Come on Amelia, Christa! Push one of Epi! Charge 300! Clear!" The body arched again as the current forced it's will on the heart- and this time the monitors settled into a steady rhythmn. "Okay, we got her back let's not lose her again people. Where's that blood? We need to increase her pressure." Rorish took Amelia's pulse and listened to her heartbeat.

Jesse came in with a couple units of blood to hang. "Well, what's the verdict?"

Rorish unhooked her stethoscope from her ears. "She'll make it. If she wants to." She lifted the blood soaked gauze around her wrists. "Damn, this is bad." Normally she wouldn't have had any problem sewing it up herself, but the cut went deep through the muscle, and while she had the surgical skill to do it- she wouldn't have the time or patience in a packed ER on a Saturday night. "Page someone from surgery- these cuts are deep." Jesse nodded. "You talk to Mayala?" she asked.