5

A/N Thanks again for all your votes. Really makes my day! I am glad you are enjoying it, and don't be shy about posting your thoughts! 

Enjoy!

Meredith couldn't breathe. She speedwalked out of the ER, her mind on overdrive. All she could think about was the blood that had slid so easily down her mothers wrists as she told her not to call for help. Her mother's bandaged arms lifting Meredith up onto the hospital bed as her mother sobbed for Richard.

Her heart swelled with pain. Heartbreak. She couldn't breathe. Everything around her was a blur, she needed air... Meredith saw an exit and ran for it. She burst through the door gasping, the cool morning air a welcome escape from the stuffy hospital.

She stood there, breathing, collecting herself, wiping the tears from her eyes. But her peace was short lived. Loud sirens screamed in her ears as three ambulances pulled up only a few feet away from her and a squad of doctors and nurses pushed past her.

xxx

They had just received word: Multi vehicle accident. Several critical patients were on their way. Rorish rushed back to the ambulance bay. Their entire staff had been called in. "Alright, what do we have?" She barked to Dr. Lorenson.

"Motor Vehicle accident, three Critical. Her resident filled her in. "I've ordered blood and plasma and paged Doctors Guthrie and Hudson"

"Good" she said, the lights and sirens of the ambulances came into view. They pulled up and the paramedics jumped out, patients in tow. She ran to the first one, the paramedics were still performing CPR. As she listened to the list of injuries - she new it was too late. She checked the patients vitals, just to be sure and then breathed loudly. "DOA," she said. "Time of death 3:30 am, she said and signed the chart.

"Rorish!" Dr. Hudson called as another ambulance pulled up.

"Coming!" Rorish shouted as she grabbed the next gurney. In the background, something caught her eye. Rorish saw Dr. Grey several yards away staring at the scene, she looked nauseous and her skin was pale. Suddenly Meredith put her hand to her stomach and bent over, vomiting right onto the pavement.

Rorish rushed the bloody patient into the trauma room. "We need to intubate" Rorish held out her hand and as the tube and guide were placed in her hands. She quickly intubated. "Okay, X-ray! Get geared up."

Christa!" she called when she saw the younger doctor jog by.

"Yes Dr. Rorish?"

"I need you to check the parking lot around the ambulance bay. Look for a woman with two children, a boy and a girl. Her name is Dr. Grey. Make sure she's okay- she could be in shock."

"But the other patients-"

Rorish sighed inwardly shock was often missed because patients felt fine. But it was easily treated, and damned if she was going to have someone pass out in her parking lot. "Just do it!"

"Okay." Christa nodded.

xxx

Meredith wiped her mouth and swallowed. She didn't expect to be right at the ambulance bay. She had seen trauma before- blood didn't bother her. But she felt glued to the ground when the paramedics had jumped out with their patient on the gurney. Because for a few seconds, she thought it was Derek, and Dr. Rorish hardly gave him any attention- didn't even try. She just called it and moved on.

Watching that, Meredith felt like she was watching Derek die all over again. She shook her head. She had to go find her kids.

Somehow, she made her way back to the waiting room, where another nurse had taken over the care of Zola and Bailey. "Mommy!" Zola ran to her and gave her a big hug. Meredith's pain washed away and she scooped up her little girl, grateful for the innocent love of her children