i

<3

<3

a dim december night led ordinary morgan falls to work a late shift at the books n' crannies bookstore in brooklyn, new york. every november first, the bookstore began to undergo decorating for the holiday season. the owner, a tiny man named bill artinger, loved everything holiday-related and decorated his store accordingly. his store was small, only having employed four people, not including bill himself. bill didn’t have the money to employ more people, which was one reason why the size of the staff was so small. another was the fact that this store was family-owned, and the artinger’s were very protective over who they hired. they rarely hired outside the family, so for morgan falls to be hired that June, it was a shock. morgan had no relation to the artigner’s, as she was born and raised in texas instead of brooklyn or jersey city as the rest of the artinger's were. 

morgan moved to new york after she finished college in san antonio. She needed an out from the toxic life she had lived for the past twenty-three years. Of course, morgan had her regrets about moving to the city, such as leaving her younger sibling, max, behind; morgan tried to push this aside, however, as she knew their older sister, molly, was watching over them back in texas. 

with the small staffing, morgan was working alone that night and was told to close up after her shift. although the christmas season was associated in the sales industry as a boom in sales, books n' crannies had seen little traffic throughout its establishment. there was no denying that not many seemed to care about the family-owned book store. stores like barnes & noble and the online market of amazon meant not many people came through the store anymore. these slow shifts were calming to morgan, as she enjoyed the quiet time she was given. as quiet christmas songs played softly in the shop, morgan sat at the front desk with her laptop and notebook opened. she was writing a chapter in the novel she’d been planning since she was in high school. The girl tapped her fingers against the wooden surface in a bored manner as she blew a strand of her dark hair out of her face. her body fell back into the leather seat making a soft airy noise. a pair of hands dragged down her face in exhaustion as a result of the time. her eyes darted towards the numbers in the top right of her macbook; 10:53 pm. she had seven minutes until she was allowed to close shop. the brunette let out a dramatic sigh and contemplated closing early. she stood up from the chair and stretched. 

ding!

morgan’s eyes darted open as she froze in her stretched stance. someone had entered the store. she quickly repositioned herself to a professional position as she scanned the area.

her eyes landed upon a man looking throughout the shelves hurridly, mumbling to himself. he quickly skimmed the titles and authors as he power-walked through the aisles.

"where is it?" morgan could make out. "is it under r?" he asked. morgan walked over to the man, just then noticing his purple locks. she thought it was an interesting choice, but definitely enjoyed it.