ii

<3

<3

the two strangers awkwardly smiled at each other as they walked down the chilly sidewalk. the night went on, leaving a comfortable silence in the air. the hard shells of their shoes clacked against the frozen pavement, barely covered in a sheet of snow. the air nipped at the two young adults as they strolled down the quiet neighborhood. frost lined the windows of each building. the chilled mist of december left a breeze of discomfort, yet it still felt like home.

morgan always loved december. she adored the way the snow fell, the holidays rolled in, the cheer everybody around her had. she loved the warmth of her house and the contrast of the chilly outdoors. she adored the ability to layer, making each outfit better than the last. the income of peppermint tastes and everest scents let the brunette know the holidays were around the corner.

the holidays were tough on morgan at times. the guilt of leaving her siblings behind when they don't have much to celebrate made her heart sting. she knew deep down they didn't blame her, but the guilt ate her alive.

"so," awsten broke the silence first. morgan was slightly startled as she had gotten used to the tranquil sounds of her boots crunching against the thin layer of frost on the sidewalk. "i'm curious about what made you deicde to ask me to coffee." he looked toward her. she let out a soft laugh.

"you don't seem like the serial killer type." she joked. he looked her up and down and grinned.

"you don't know that." awsten said, playing into the joke. "i could be wanted in thirteen states for all you know." morgan rolled her eyes playfully.

"with that hair?" she looked at the ground and chuckled to herself.  morgan pulled her dark hair out from behind her ears to adapt to the cold. "also, didn't you say you were on tour?"

"mayhaps." his lips twisted into a small smirk before the brunette laughed.

"hate to tell you this," morgan started, pulling her arms into her coat pockets. "your serial killer persona is really falling apart, awsten." awsten mocked her tone in response with a mischievous tone to his voice.

something about him made morgan light up inside. his energy seemed to brighten her exhausted guise, making her unusually chipper. the violet locks he sported reminded her of lavander petals mixed with honey tea, soft and silky- but still with rough edges. he was also blue- so very blue. diamonds and cotton candy textures laced her brain as she admired him. she appreciated how he naturally made her feel welcomed.

whilst in thought, morgan nearly missed the coffee shop the two were walking towards. she snapped out of her thoughts and stopped in her tracks, awsten repeating the movement.

"this is the place." she gestured to the building. "open twenty-four-seven for all your coffee and caffeine needs."

"how often do you come here?" he asked her. she looked to her right and shrugged, small butterflies fluttering through her lower stomach. small spurts of embarrassment running through her like energy on a faulty power socket.