A Pleasant Evening

"Let's do this!!!!", Rosehip yelled out as her and john stood out of the hatches of their crusaders next to each other.

"Alright! One! Two! Three! Go!", John called out as he and Rosehip's Crusaders lurched forward and started to speed off along the dirt road before them.

Watching from atop their tanks as a brisk breeze blew over them, they both took a moment to glance over at each other and smile widely. Before quickly turning forward again to see the impromptu finish line before them.

"Come on!!!!", They both called out to their drivers as the tanks sped across the line and quickly came to a stop just after it.

Both of them bounded up and out of their tanks, running over towards Assam and Orange Pekoe who were standing just to the side of the finish line with a camera.

"Well?!", Rosehip asked frantically.

"Who won?!", John added.

Assam chuckled at this as Pekoe handed her the photo taken as they crossed the finish line.

"Another tie", Pekoe added with a smile as John and Rosehip looked over the picture showing them both reaching the finish line at the same time.

"Well I guess we're splitting the cost of lunch again", John spoke with a smile to Rosehip after his shoulder.

"Oh no, I'm paying this time", She responded with a wink as they both took a moment to thank their drivers and crew before heading off towards the exit of the Tankery fields.

Watching on, Pekoe spoke to Assam as the two tank's crews joined them for tea near the finish line.

"I'm glad she's got someone like him to be there for her"

"Me too", Assam added with a chuckle before turning and greeting the tank crews.

---Timeskip---

"I'm just going to go to the toilet, how about you get us a table?", John spoke as they entered.

"Alright", Rosehip responded with a smile. Sitting down at a nearby table for two.

After a short time she heard a familiar voice which drained the smile from her face. Tentatively turning around to look over her shoulder she noticed Vanilla and a group of her popular attractive friends from school at a table not far away. Her expression then turned to a surprised one as John walked past that table on his way back to her when Vanilla and her friends called him over to talk.

Her lip quivered as she watched them talk for a moment, before quickly turning back around and focusing on the menu she was holding.

"So what brings you here John?", Vanilla asked as she spotted a familiar redhead sitting across the café at a small table.

"I'm just here to eat dinner with a friend", John answered. Letting out a sigh as her and her friends hit him with a barrage of questions regarding Tankery and school.

"Look, I don't mean to be rude, but I'd like to go eat. So, I'll see you all at school sometime", he said as he put his hands together in front of him and sped up his pace to walk over to where Rosehip was sitting.

Annoyed and angered expressions formed on all the girls faces as he sat down at the table and a smile grew on his face as he poured two glasses of water for himself and Rosehip.

"I can't believe it..."

"How can he possibly want to spend time with her of all people..."

"Giving that shameful excuse for a tank commander attention. Darjeeling should have them both removed"

"Forget about it... They're not worth it...", Vanilla muttered as she turned back away from them.

"But you said that-"

"I know what I said, I'll just have to try more... Direct methods...", she added with a smile as she took a sip of her tea. Doing her best to contain her distain as she heard Rosehip's high-pitched laughing from across the café.

"That's so funny", Rosehip added as she took a drink of water.

"Well I suppose if you think so", John said with a chuckle in regard to the not very funny joke he'd just told.

"May I take your order?", a waiter then asked as they approached the table...

---Timeskip---

"Thanks for this, this is such a great evening", Rosehip said with a smile as she quickly stepped in front of John and twirled a few times with a giggle.

He chuckled as he watched her and quickened his pace to catch up with her. His expression changing to a shocked one as her foot pressed against a rock on the path and she started to fall towards him.

He quickly outstretched his hands and grabbed both of hers.

"A-Ah...", she muttered in an embarrassed tone as she settled on her feet.

"Are you alright?", he asked in a soft tone with a concern expression.

"Y-Yes, thank... Thank you", she said with a soft smile as she looked up into his eyes for a moment. Quickly shifting her gaze back down to her feet as her hands started to shake slightly.

John then opened his mouth to speak again, stopping as he felt a few droplets of rain fall on his head. Followed by many more as it started to pour down rain all around them.

"L-Let's go, my apartment isn't far!", Rosehip yelled as the rain got heavier and louder.

The pair running off down the street...

---Timeskip---

"Wow...", John muttered as he shook the water off the sleeves of his jacket just before they entered Rosehip's apartment building.

"That was unexpected", he added with a chuckle.

"Yeah, it was. It's gotten quite cold too", Rosehip said with a smile and a slight shiver.

"A-Anyway I should probably get going...", John spoke as a loud clap of thunder rang out and caused Rosehip to jump slightly.

Starting to shiver himself John looked over at the door to see the fierce storm brewing outside when another clap rang out and he felt a slight pull on his sleeve.

He turned back around to see Rosehip clinging to his shoulder and looking down at the ground, still shaking slightly from the cold.

"P-Please don't go..."

John's expression softened as she looked up at him with a nervous expression and wide eyes.

"Okay", he responded. Resting his hands on her shoulders for a moment before following her to the elevator.